Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know the redline on a 2001 600?? Other then exhausts and filter the engine is stock (that shouldnt affect the redline). Also they have a rev limiter right? Is it a "hard" or "soft" one? If that makes any sense!!

Rhoades

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
only the fuel injected bikes have rev limiters./

Not true. My M900 has rev lim at 9k. The 600 has one too,
not sure about the limit. You`re safe!

Gert

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
My 1997 M900 did not have a rev limiter. I've run it up to 9500 a few times when I didn't want to shift right before hitting the brakes again. Normally the bike didn't like to rev much past 9000 and the power band was definitely falling off by 8500.

I would expect the M600 to have a higher redline.

By the way, the ST2 rev limiter hits at 9500 and that motor will pull all the way. That bike clearly has more top end power than my Monster did.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
My 1997 M900 did not have a rev limiter./

Hmm, maybe there are more differences between US &
EU models than I know... :-[ Sorry!

Gert

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Thought I would be a smart ass and tell you to read the manual available at

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/manuals.jhtml#my2001

The "all models" in the monster section covers the 600

But I encountered a major "duh" moment:

The manual doesn't specify RPM just maximum road speed in any given gear! See page 27.

Is this a trick question? does a 2001 600 actually include a tacho?

The manual for the 2002 620 lists 10000RPM as the red line.
The 2001 600 is listed as having max power at 8000RPM so 10000RPM seems reasonable.

Realistically, in a worst case, just change gear just beyond peak power and you should be safe. You can feel "peak power" on a 600 can't you? (My little joke, no offence intended) I never really use the tacho or worry about the redline (Except when running in) , the engine power drops off before then anyway, just feed your motorcycle lots of love and regular oil changes.

Hope this helps

Thanks and best Regards

stu

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought it as a race bike and the tach on it has the redline set at 6500. Thought that seemed a little low so I thought I would check before I replace the tach. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Redline

Heck, I have been looking for the same info, well any info - to include where I could get a copy of a service manual, for a '95 M900.

I just finished the repairs on the bike and the shop replaced the gaskets, clutch, rebuilt the carbs, changed all the oil in the bike, and replaced the gas tank (THANK YOU TIMM)!!!!

Thanks all for the assistance,

Rick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts