Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More comfort? Better control? Don't they put more weight on the wrists?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Objectively speaking- it's for improved handling of the bike (mostly cornering), some small aerodynamic "advantage" too I suppose. If you crash a lot they can be cheaper as you only have to replace the side you bend. (... what?)

Subjectively speaking- style, looks, what you're used to (my case)

that's my $.0125 after taxes, now I'm broke again.

·
Registered
541 Posts
what he said^

above or below triple rex?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nevermind your the s4r handlebar flippy upside down guy.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
In addition to what has been said, if you ride with a pillion clip ons are much more comfortable since the seating position changes and you sit away from the pillion hence no helmets hitting each other 8)

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I've got long arms and a long back, so clipons (and rearsets) just make me more comfortable.

The new Sports 1000 models are something I would be quite happy with, I think, for that reason, but I'm not parting with my Monster.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Paper- good grief I hope I don't become known as the handlebar flippy upside down guy. [laugh] I am liking it though! To answer what I think was your question... it is my intention to go clip-on either above or below top TC. Below gives a more finished look I think but the allure of being able to easily swap out risers for long-ish trips keeps calling me in that direction. I'll have to more seriously consider how much road tripping I'll actually end up doing vs the vanity of a tight looking front end. Ultimately I just need the equivalent of a 1/4 to -1/2 rise of the TC and I can probably just suck it up otherwise.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've got mine under the tripple...If my back doen't get used to it then they're going above..but they look badass...and they was a lot of stuff I had to cut to put them there....so for now they are staying under just out of principal. Mr. flippy upside down bar guy.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
Wanwo said:
Don't they put more weight on the wrists?
FYI, you should be holding the tank with your knees, so that not all of your weight is on the bars. Use your legs and abs to hold yourself up, not your wrists. Your hands and wrists will thank you.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
some say use your abs. I've always figured that meant to drink more beer so you could rest on your gut. One way or the other, clip ons take a bit of practice but you can mitigate the pressure on your wrists.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I recently made the conversion from stock bars to the cyclecat dbr clipon system, and LOVE it. Being on the tall side, the cockpit was definitely a bit tight for me before the change over. I've noticed a little bit more pressure on the ol' wrists, but nothing compared to the pressure while mountain biking, or cycling in general. So, for the most part, they have worked for better comfort and control. I haven't tried the non-adjustables, but from friend's experiences, for all-intensive comfort purposes the adjustables are the way to go...especially for the longer rides.

And like Industrial_Grrrl said, w/ proper tank holding there is almost no added pressure, for me that is, and I suppose it could be related to arm and leg length...

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Unless you are pretty tall, after few hours of riding your wrists are gonna suffer more with clip ons than with the stock bars. Holding the tank with legs and holding up with abdomen is practically impossible after certain time, which, obviously differs from one person to another. You get tired after some time and feel that your weight starts to fall onto your wrists. I am 5'9" and my wrists definitely were more comfortable with the stockers. So to answer your original question, yes they put more weight on wrists after a certain time, but other pros which are mentioned before easily compensate this.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
if you do a lot of back extensions while in the gym, it will make the clip-on thing easier on your body.... don't do like me and have the "ability" to lose forty pounds and not look waifish. that makes you hold up your gut and the rest of your body and that sucks...

that said, I'm considering clip-ons.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Of course, if you are short in the 5'4" and below category, the bars are high and wide which is tough on the shoulders. I'd like something that comes back a little to me, and down would be fine too. And inward. I feel like I'm reaching way out to the sides past my shoulders, and am not that much below them either. I've come to the conclusion that despite the high price tag for all 3 components necessary for the M695, I will probably go with the Dmb 43 by cycle cat. It's not too radically low (it goes from about an inch above to 2 below adjustment), but I can rotate them back to me. Aaaah. That will be a relief.

Murph

·
Registered
290 Posts
What are the best clip-ons for and 05 s2r? Will they have to go below the stock triple with risers. I was thinking of doing that and mounting my GPS/rearview cam etc...on the old bar clap position..thanks for any replys [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
CycleCat stuff is top notch, but value for money ratio is much higher with Tommaselli IMO. They are as adjustable as the CycleCats (although not as easy).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.