Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could probably wing it, but everytime I do work blindly, I end up with extra parts when I put it back together.
The dealer wants $70 for a service manual, and I really dont trust haynes, so hopefully some hoolies have done this before and can help me out.
Just for reference I have an 02 with the updated superbike style rear susp(no arch)
any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I could probably wing it, but everytime I do work blindly, I end up with extra parts when I put it back together.
The dealer wants $70 for a service manual, and I really dont trust haynes, so hopefully some hoolies have done this before and can help me out.
Just for reference I have an 02 with the updated superbike style rear susp(no arch)
any help will be appreciated
I've got the older style 851 suspension on mine, and though I've not pulled the shock, I have pulled the entire swingarm/shock assembly from the engine cases - and it looks like swapping the shock out would be _easy_ on these...

Have you downloaded the parts diagram pdf yet? I'd be surprised if they didn't show you enough detail to give you the confidence to go for it...

big

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just did mine on my 620 last weekend, here's the scoop:

take off the side covers so you don't break them.

Get the bike up on some kind of support so the swingarm hangs free -- I used a rear stand and then slipped a 1/2 steel rod (from home depot) through the swingarm pivot and then put regular auto stands under the rod and removed the rear stand. Check the archives for threads on this idea.

remove the bottom shock bolt through the hole in the swingarm on the right side of the bike. You'll need the proper sized metric allen (10mm?) and it is a tight fit to get it in there, you may need to loosen the rear brake master to get clearance.

Go around to the left and remove the top shock bolt.

Be careful when you remove the stock dog bone as it has 2 little bushings at each end -- don't loose them.

When you reinstall, its the reverse, and make sure you torque the top bolt first before you even install the bottom bolt as you won't be able to get to it after that. I don't recall the torque #s, but I'll look them up later if you need them.

All in all, its a 1/2 hour job total for a first timer (like me).

Have fun.
mike

G

·
mike covered it well in his post. just offering an alternative to suspending the tail...
if the shock you're reinstalling is the same length as the one you're pulling, you can shim a block of wood between the swingarm and tail of the bike to support it's weight while the shock's out. i ran a 1x6 i had laying around from the rear of the swingarm to the passenger grab-handle on either side of the bike. worked like a charm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts