Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a simple way to winterize your bike without getting to mechanical about it. I have a carburated 97' m750. One guy told me to empty the tank, run the bike till the gas is done, and just put the battery on a tender. He said if you leave gas in the tank and don't run the bike empty you'll gunk up the carbs. I read the winterize instructions in the FAQ articles, but thats a little to involved for me. so a simple way to winterize would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Place the bike on a rear and front stand. You want both tires off the ground, it avoids a flat spot after being parked for months. Put a full tank of gas. Then hookup a battery charger. Doesn't get easier than that. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Ride it all winter?

but seriously, you should run the gas out of the carbs. That's hard to do on the ducs since they don't have a tank petcock but you could disconnect and pin off the tank. I usually just make sure I go out and start the bike for 10 mins every couple of weeks all winter. A battery tender is a must if you want your battery to last more than a year or two.

That's about it.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Use Stabil or an equivalent product by directions in your fuel and run the bike long enough to get it through the carbs. If you do not have stands put the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall and roll the bike every month or so. Even if you don't all will probably be fine. You might also consider fogging the cylinders.

Also see this link:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/faq/faq_winter.html

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
A.Duc.H.Duc. said:
Ride it all winter?

but seriously, you should run the gas out of the carbs. That's hard to do on the ducs since they don't have a tank petcock but you could disconnect and pin off the tank. I usually just make sure I go out and start the bike for 10 mins every couple of weeks all winter. A battery tender is a must if you want your battery to last more than a year or two.
Sorry, but I consider this bad advice. You're much better off adding a fuel stabilizer when you fill the tank, then ride it home from the gas station. That will make sure the stabilized fuel is in the carburetors, which will be good enough to get you through until spring.

Running the bike for 10 minutes every few weeks is probably the worst thing you could do to it. That's just long enough to create acids in the oil, but not long enough to heat the oil so that they evaporate away. You're much better off leaving the bike until you can ride it for at least half an hour. Don't just let it idle.

And you should own a Battery Tender anyway, even if the bike doesn't sit all winter. The battery will last much longer that way and you'll know it's topped off when that warm day comes in the spring and you're ready to ride it.

As for getting the wheels off of the ground, putting a couple of carpet scraps under the tires will give you most of the benefit of lifting the wheels completely off of the ground.

I'm just glad that I can ride my bikes all year. 8)

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Matt C. said:
Bring it inside your house. Now wasn't that simple?
That's still not good enough if you don't ride it for four months or more. You still have the problem of stale gas and battery discharge, even if you keep the bike warm enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.