Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What years have interchangeable front fenders?

I know there were some changes around 99/00/01, just not sure exactly what and when.

What years will fit on what other years?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I have to disagree with Mark.

I have a '99 with solid front axle. It uses the old style fender. The difference in the fenders is the spacing between fender nounting bolts. The older ones have closer spacing, 40mm. I think the later ones have 65 mm spacing.

I found out recently that you have to be careful putting a SS front on the older bikes. Some of the earliest bikes had a 60 series front tire. The fender for that bike sits lower and will rub the tire in back. The fender for the 70 series tire has the same mounting bolt spacing, but the holes are shifted to let the fender sit up higher.

Apparently the correct replacement fender is tough to find. I dug one out of the "magic attic" at BCM a couple of weeks ago and cleaned it up for my bike. The center of the bottom hole is 74 mm from the very bottom of the fender. FYI

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to disagree with Mark.

I have a '99 with solid front axle. It uses the old style fender. The difference in the fenders is the spacing between fender nounting bolts. The older ones have closer spacing, 40mm. I think the later ones have 65 mm spacing.

I found out recently that you have to be careful putting a SS front on the older bikes. Some of the earliest bikes had a 60 series front tire. The fender for that bike sits lower and will rub the tire in back. The fender for the 70 series tire has the same mounting bolt spacing, but the holes are shifted to let the fender sit up higher.

Apparently the correct replacement fender is tough to find. I dug one out of the "magic attic" at BCM a couple of weeks ago and cleaned it up for my bike. The center of the bottom hole is 74 mm from the very bottom of the fender. FYI
ooops make that 94-99 monster front fenders are interchangeable and the 00-onward monster front fenders are interchangeable... i was thinking in supersport terms.... the monster got the 25mm axle in 2000 whereas the supersport got the 25mm axle in 1999. basically pretty much all the fenders that fit on a 20mm axle are interchangeable and all the fenders that fit on a 25mm axle are interchangeable.

i question the different fenders for different series tire argument... having swapped my stock 60 series tire over to a 70 series tire at my first tire change on the 900ss/cr after discovering a dinged rim. i had no clearance issues with either the stock ss fender, the aftermarket carbon piece, or a replacement stock ss/sp carbon one. anyway the mounting holes can be easily elongated to allow sufficient clearance of the taller profile.

the 40mm and 65mm spacing applies to brake caliper mounting holes and not fender mounting. i think 98 was the last year that saw the 40mm caliper spacing with the 25mm axle on the 916. the i believe '99 996 saw the first 65mm caliper spacing with the 25mm axle. at least that was the info i could drudge up when i was researching the fork swap on my 900ss.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, you guys were really confusing me! But I think I get it now.

For my 2000 Monster, I need a fender designed for a 2000 or newer. A 1999 or older WON'T work.

Right?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Mark,

I can back this "two fenders for two tire profiles" comment.

I found two SS fenders in the BCM attic. I took the cleaner one down to fit on my bike. Bruce said "it won't fit." It didn't the tire rubbed the in the rear and, looking at the underside, I discovered that it was scuffed in the back from a previous installation.

Then I went upstairs and looked at the less desirable piece and noted that the mounting holes were indeed shifted compared to the first piece. I took it down and discovered that it fit with no clearance problems. These two fenders were identical in every way except for the location of the mounting holes. It was Bruce who provided the 60-series vs. 70-series explanation.

The fender mounting holes on mine are 40mm. Perhaps you're right that the 40 vs.64 generally refers to the caliper mounts, but the spacing on the newer fenders does look wider to me as well. Don't have one here that I can measure.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well... there was a period ( 92 & 93 ) when the ss had a 17mm front axle... perhaps the fender was from that period. i'm fairly certain all sp's came with a 120/70 while the cr's came with a 120/60 front... not sure what the standard tire size for the ss was before the cr came along ( again 92 & 93 ). most of the folks i've met that have cr's have successfully mounted a 120/70 tire without needing to replace the front fender because of the dinged rim issue. one fella had to oval out his aftermarket carbon fender ( a lockhart philips product, who had questionable quality for early carbon fiber ) holes to get enough clearance. could be those fender's of yours were from the 92 & 93 time period. the one thing definite about parts for ducati's is that there is nothing definite... especially true during the cagiva era when they used whatever was on the shelf at the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts