Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been away from biking for about 4 years. Long story short, I had a premature child and had no interest in riding so I sold my 748 and my BMW R1150R when she finally came home from the hospital.

I go the itch to ride again.

I definitely want a Duke again. I will more than likely buy a Monster. I am torn on what model to get. I have owned 7 bikes in the past. From cruisers ( Road Star, Virago) to Superbikes ( R6 and 748) to standards/ sport ( Seca II, Yzf600r,R1150R, ) I have ridden a Monster in the past and really had fun with it. I did not buy it and went for the BMW instead.

I would like to spend about 8K. I have not ruled out a little more for a new 696 though. I also would by a used model ( older 1100 or similar) in that price range.

What I dont want is buyers remorse for buying a bike based solely on price.

I am not looking for a very powerful bike, been there done that. But I dont want to get something underpowered and be unsatisfied.

Who has had a mixture of bikes and is living happily with a 696 of similar?

Keep in mind the test drive will have me excited either way with any bike as I have been away for 4 years. Anything will instantly put a grin on my face.

I am 6'1 220lbs, so I am wondering if a 696 is underpowered and too much of a " beginners" bike for me...no offence. It is an entry level bike.

Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
humm hate to say this, but have you considered the multistrada? any model besides the 620 will have more than enough power. for 8k you can almost certainly find an "s" with the ohlins suspension. I say this mainly because you're on the taller side... and it seems like the multi would fit you better.

I've owned beemers, triumphs, a few ducs, and have been thinking that I either need to supplement the monster (S2R 800 - love it by the way, and got it cheap) with a sport-tourer (looking at bmw r bikes) or I may go to a multi. depends on how many miles you wanna do.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At one point I was really interested in the multistrada, but I dont see myself doing and day trips. I would be lucky to get out a couple hours a week for a ride through the forest preserves ect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had the 696 for 5 months now and love the bike. Puts a grin on my face everytime I ride. I am a returning motorcyclist (read older biker) so I wanted something easy to handle with sufficient but not too much power. No regrets so far. The bike is physically small so try it first for size.

As said above, the S2R is a real nice bike too.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
A Supersport 1000DS

·
Registered
130 Posts
Personally, in retrospect ....

I'd get a 2008 S2R 1000. Even though black is the best don't buy the black one, too hard to keep clean. I'd go with silver or a custom paint job. Then dump a huge amount of money into it starting with a full exhaust system ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recently bought an '08 S2R 1000 and just love the thing. So much so that I am now willing to let go of my '03 R6. I'm 6' and 217 lbs. and the thing is just fun every damn minute I am on it. Loads of torque, compliant suspension and confidence inspiring each time I take her for a ride. Can't tell you anything about the 696 unfortunately, but I would not trade the S2R for anything else at the moment. Just a great all around ride IMO.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I tried the Harley Sportster 1200 and the Triumph Bonneyville, but they were nothing compared to the acceleration and handling of the 696. I still love the little bike and have put over 6000 miles on the bike in the first year. I'm not as big as you, so you might want to consider a Monster 1100. There are also some good buys available on the Multistrada since it is supposed to be phased out this year. I think that you would fit the Mulitstrada well, and it's as much fun as the Monster. I've riden one of the Mulits, but with a 28" inseam it's a little tall for me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. I have chosen..wisely I think, to get the 696. My reasons are as follows....

It has enough power to satisfy my needs. I have a very fast car to go quickly in a straight line. I would rather have usable power in the curvy patches of road.

Less twitchy. It least if felt that way. When you get on the 696 it is smoother or at least more confidence inspiring. The 1100 wants to turn its wheel to the sky and it is easier to upset the back end. Dont get me wrong I love the power of the 1100, but I dont think I need it all the time.

In reality the difference is negligible. I can blast between red lights on either bike. They both satisfy my need to ride again. I have ridden on the track on various machines. I am not one of the very few riders in the world that can get 100% out of modern bikes. In my opinion, most modern bikes only see about 30% of there potential. So in my case, I would rather ring as much out of a " smaller" bike than to barely tap into a more "powerful" bike. I guess that is my riding style.

80 hp for a 350lb bike is by no means " underpowered". In fact, what is the right amount of power? I believe it is a marketing ploy anyway. Made to turn the juices of potential riders and wanna bee's. Sure I would love to have the Desmosedici's 172 hp. I could not ride it any harder or faster than I will be able to on my 696.

Price. I would rather have money to upgrade pipes, seat, clothing ect. than spend the 2 grand difference.

Looks is the only area I may regret. I love SSSA and dry clutches. I will however be fine just hearing that trademark sound of a Ducati.

Thanks all, looking forward to reading and sharing on this site.
Jim

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds like you have thought out your purchase and made a good decision. I've had my 696 for over a year now and put over 6000 miles on it in that year. Yep, I did blow some money on upgrades (touring seat, Termi system, LED signals, tail-chop, CRG levers, bar riser, bar-end mirrors, sliders, and assorted carbon fiber parts), but I still love the light weight and handling of the bike. Another advantage to the light weight is that if you drop the bike it's easy to pick-up. I've only dropped mine once, when I stopped to assist a downed bicyclist, but the bike suffered no damage at all (thanks to grass) and was a breeze for me to pickup, and I'm not big: 62 years old 5'8" and 160 lb. Break it in right and I think you will be well please with your purchase. Have fun and ride safe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The M696 is a great bike. I loved mine all the way to the 600 mile service.

While having it done I test rode the M1100. I traded in the M696 for a great deal on the M1100 and couldn't be happier. No regrets.

The M696 is fun, but the M1100 is sexier and even more FUUUUUNNNN!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The M696 is a great bike. I loved mine all the way to the 600 mile service.

While having it done I test rode the M1100. I traded in the M696 for a great deal on the M1100 and couldn't be happier. No regrets.

The M696 is fun, but the M1100 is sexier and even more FUUUUUNNNN!
In that case, I will NOT test ride the 1100! I promised my wife I would be happy forever with this bike. She knows me and that I will more than likely want to upgrade.

I rode 200 miles yesterday and I have to say I am very pleased. Bike handles so well. Not sure of the power as of yet...keeping it under 5k rpms.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Yeah i have to agree with the 'what you don't know can't hurt' philosophy. I was happy with my M750 (my start-riding again after an accident bike) until i rode a friends 696. The precision and responsiveness was so dramatically better than my bike that I ended up buying a S2R less than a month later.

·
Registered
197 Posts
it's impossible to be truly happy with a new ducati.

i soni bastardi include the Performance Accessories & clothing catalogue with every new bike.

i can highly recommend leaving it out for your wife to thumb through... :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
in true retro-spect, i would love to have a laverda jota in the garage...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it's impossible to be truly happy with a new ducati.

i soni bastardi include the Performance Accessories & clothing catalogue with every new bike.

i can highly recommend leaving it out for your wife to thumb through... :)
Oh I left it out.....only to be told no way! I was even accused of purchasing the catalog. She said " No way was this big of a book free"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts