Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to look for a track/race bike and came across this. I would like to see what you guys think would be a fair price for it .

This is the email that I received:

John

I don’t know how much you‘d think a bike could be built for, but this one is ready to go for $7000.

It makes @ 77 HP but is stone reliable and works awesome. It has about 3 times as much invested in it as

I’m asking and would cost a small fortune to build another bike like it.

You can see most of the stuff on the bike but it is brimming with nearly everything that can possibly

be done to it.

The engine is about 6 months old. It is a mostly standard 2004 Gen2 with Gen2 intake cams on the

exhaust side, cleaned up intake ports, thin head gaskets and +2 degree timing offset. The FI has the

secondary butterflies removed, holes filled, remaining butterflies & TB’s streamlined. TBodies are

matched to the intakes. Open top airbox with dry K&N, lifted tank, full Ti M4 exhaust, Sigma Racing

slipper clutch, pair valves removed & plugged, PCIIIR with custom map. Custom oversize radiator.

Runs strong on pump premium. Driven 520 kit.

GP Composites ‘05 GSXR1000 bodywork, tail, undertail & F/fender narrowed for SV, EE alloy

subframe, Morse Racing billet fairing stay, Custom made Brembo rear brake assembly and

Brembo front radial master cylinder, Kevlar hoses, Braking wave rotors.

Special 06 GSXR Ohlins triple adjust shock revalved & srung for SV, alloy body with remote preload

adjuster. Very special forks ‘05 GSXR750 Annodized and DLC coated, RaceTech valves, Sonic

springs, FG adjusters & custom billet triples, Ti hardware. GSXR sized OZ forged racing wheels

with Michelin slicks. Woodcraft clip-ons & rearsets, Keyless ign with switch, front mounted battery.

Many Ti fasteners, body & tail section has Dzus fasteners. Has not been crashed.

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
fully raced out SV650's like that, are right in that price range.

great mods and setup, I would be curious as to know what class all the gsxr mods put it into.

at least you don't have to worry about the motor, mostly stock.

poke around svrider.com for more info.

Q

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
this statement is deffinatly true... It has about 3 times as much invested in it as I’m asking and would cost a small fortune to build another bike like it.

Are you looking for a full blown race bike, well this is it. Looks like it has every possible SV mode done to it. If these were all mods you wanted to do, then yeah you'll be saving yourself a TON of money. All you have to do is learn how to ride it. There is not much else you have to get, or can get, for the bike.

Fair, thats a tough call, not sure what equally built bikes like this go for.

For a track toy, you can find deals like This and have a well setup bike ready to race.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
qfactor said:
great mods and setup, I would be curious as to know what class all the gsxr mods put it into.
superbike

·
Registered
688 Posts
A friend told me too avoid sv650's with heavy engine mods. I kind of trust him because of the time he's spent at the track. I am not sure if this bike counts for heavy engine mods, but it seems like a lot for a bike that has been on the track and raced.

Checkout WERA classifieds and you will get an idea of price ranges for track bikes. If you check out some of the sv650 classifieds for the last three months or so, there was an sv650 that dyno'd in the 80's hp. and if memory serves me correctly it was a little cheaper.

I'm still looking for one, and it's so tempting to think that you are saving money. I am still not sure about used track bikes since it really matters on the bikes underlying condition. Caveat emptor, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
What's with the chunky-monkey seat? Hemorrhoids? That's worth at least $500 off the asking price ;D

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Its fair for a cat with a big racing budget [laugh]

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Bug said:
A friend told me too avoid sv650's with heavy engine mods.
Some SV's with heavy engine mods have had crank trouble. Apparently they don't like to be too 'built'. But I've heard that isn't too much of a problem as long as hp is still in the 70's. So I don't think it's too built from what I've heard.

That's a nice bike. Most of the guys running them here go the budget route. Like I'm looking to do. They sort the stock suspension with spring/emulators, swap the rear shock for a Kawi 636 or similar, and put tires on it. That guy went the full monty for racing. I dig it.

He's selling it for less than it would take to buid it. Question is do you want an SV? For $7k you can get a used Jap 600. So when you look at what else you can get for the $$$ I'd first make up my mind if I want to run an SV. If you're looking at SV's in particular you could build a suitable track SV cheaper. Which still doesn't mean it's a bad deal. Just depends on what you are looking for. But you can find a race prepped SV's cheaper than that.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Too much for that bike. You can find a competitive SV for $5000. I'm sure he has a lot of money into it (but I HIGHLY doubt 21K), but you just plain don't get your money back out of racebikes. I've also heard of issues on built SVs, so I'd steer clear. Also, what do you want it for? Are you racing it? or just trackdays? Either way, buy one with a stock engine and beat the hell out of it because you won't need the extra horsepower for quite some time yet.

·
Registered
688 Posts
What mods should one consider on a stock sv650 to make it track worthy? and any idea what it would cost?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank's for the responses!!

darylbowden said:
Too much for that bike. You can find a competitive SV for $5000. I'm sure he has a lot of money into it (but I HIGHLY doubt 21K), but you just plain don't get your money back out of racebikes. I've also heard of issues on built SVs, so I'd steer clear. Also, what do you want it for? Are you racing it? or just trackdays? Either way, buy one with a stock engine and beat the hell out of it because you won't need the extra horsepower for quite some time yet.
That is what I thought on the price, just wanted to make sure. I didnt know about the motor issues, so looks like it's going to be an I-4. What I want it for is track days and then do some racing.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Bug said:
What mods should one consider on a stock sv650 to make it track worthy? and any idea what it would cost?
Check out SVrider.com. Basically the issues with the SV are mainly suspension oriented. The damper rod forks aren't all that great and the suspension at both ends is soft. I had an '05 S model and it handled great from a flickability standpoint. But the suspension was way too soft and had a lack of damping.

The fix is pretty easy. Up front most people put in stiffer springs ($100), different oil ($20/$30), and Race Tech emulators ($150). So for about $300 you can get the front end sorted. Out back people mount a rear shock from a Kawi 636 which can be had off of Ebay for about $50. Or you can get a Penske for $700. But most peole put a 636 or GSXR 750 shock. Which one fits depends on which model SV you have. So for less than $400 you can sort the suspension.

Other than that a better set of tires are good. Stockers are sport/touring tires. Rearsets are also a good choice. Woodcrafts are $250. But a budget route is to get relocation plates that move the stock ones up and back. Those run about $50.

You can get on set up for about $500 if you get a used rear shock and relocation plates. So it isn't too expensive. Especially when you can pick up a good used SV for $3,000 to $4,000.

If you look at SVrider.com you'll see that other than the Monster the SV is probably the most modded bike around. Those guys put some $$$ into their SV's. Full GSXR front ends, single sided swingarms, you name it.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
MonsterMan said:
Thank's for the responses!!

That is what I thought on the price, just wanted to make sure. I didnt know about the motor issues, so looks like it's going to be an I-4. What I want it for is track days and then do some racing.
Yeah, you can get a well sorted SV for $3,500 to $5,000. So while that bike is nice unless you are going to race it it's a lot for an SV. If you look for an SV look for one that's Super Sport legal. They won't be so heavily modded and can be found cheaper than one that's been run in SBK.

But te biggest reason to get an SV would be that you want an SV. From a $$$ standpoint you can get a nice I-4 for that kind of money.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I was going to suggest doing some class investigation before you buy a bike you want to race, but I see MikeB already brought it up.
If you buy a bike that is only superbike legal, then you are limiting the number of classes you can run.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
the most common setup i see around here is the GSXR frontend swap, upgraded rear shock, F3 rear wheel (wider for a bigger rear tire), and rearsets clipons ect....

ususally can find for around 4-5K

<EDIT>

just some examples of whats out there or sold recently, i know your in another part of the country.

$4500
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=186313

$4000
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183333

$5500
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=177633&highlight=sv650

$4400
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176085&highlight=sv650

1 - 16 of 16 Posts