Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've ridden about 5100km and my rear tyre is all but gone, the steelwires in the tyre is showing... see attached pic!

I don't particular like the Pirellis that came with bike because of the bad handling in cold/wet weather but it was great fun when it was warm. :smile

I've been looking at a couple of different tyres, Michelin Pilot Power 3, Conti RoadAttack 2 EVO and Dunlop Sportmax QII

Has anybody any input regarding any of these tyres?

Which of the listed tyres has the best grip in cold/wet weather and with that I mean temp from 0ºC and upwards.

BR Daniel

Attachments

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Pilot Roads, Road Smarts, and Pirelli Angel GT tires are designed for wet weather and long life. I've used the Road Smarts for years and have gotten good life out of them due to the harder center compound and enjoy the softer side compound when leaning low in warm weather. I think all 3 of these are designed with dual compound like this. I've heard of people complain that they take a little longer to warm up, though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have 4500 miles on my monster and my second rear Pirelli Diablo is down to the wear bars. Front needs replacing now too. The Pirellis are wearing out too fast. I was debating between the Angel GTs and Michelin Pilot Power 3. The GTs were really pricy. I went with the Power 3. I got a front for $109.99 and rear for $169.99. I've read nothing but good about them. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I heard of a guy (who must not ride aggressively) who got 18k miles out of his Road Smart 3's. The most I got out of my Road Smart 1's was 12k miles, which is pretty damn good. I just got the Smart 2's so we'll see how long they last.

·
Registered
782 Posts
On my second set of Angel GT's (A Spec) and have no complaints. Last twice as long as the Rosso II's and stick great in the wet, as good as I need in the dry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm surprised you only got 5100 km out of that tire. Looks like you primarily drive on grass. :leaves:
Rufus2010: yeah I know, the grass here in Sweden must be really harsh on the tyres :devil

dlewis23: It seems that the Q3 tyre is not available here in Sweden/Europe....

Nobody has said anything about the Conti tyre, isn't is any good or hasn't anybody ridden that tyre?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I've only used a Conti Motion front and it did well as far as performance. I ended up selling the bike, so I didn't keep it long enough to see how long it lasted.

They're a good value.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got 4200 miles out of the stock rear. I switched to Angel GTs and found that the bike turns in quicker now. They seem to have more tread depth than the stock tires. I only have about 1600 miles on them but they seem to be wearing much better than stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I got 4200 miles out of the stock rear. I switched to Angel GTs and found that the bike turns in quicker now. They seem to have more tread depth than the stock tires. I only have about 1600 miles on them but they seem to be wearing much better than stock.
How's the grip compared to the Diablo Rosso II?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tyre choice is always a complex issue and comes down to personal preference, but for what is worth if you are doing mainly road riding and no track days and want a tyre to warm up quick, give good mileage (up to 18,000kms) and have good grip in wet or slippery conditions then it is hard to go past pilot road 4' from Michelin. I have them on my triumph and my Monster and have never had an issue with grip and get 15,000kms easy on the Triumph but haven't had them on the Monster long enough to wear them out yet. If you are doing some track days as well then Dunlop Q3's or pilot powers would be okay but they, like all purely sport tyres will not give you mileage. Anyway hope you find what suits you best. Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went for the Michelin Pilot Road 4.
I'll post some info how the tyre feels in the swedish autumn and yesterday I got a giftcard for a trackday next year so that'll be fun!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Tyre choice is always a complex issue and comes down to personal preference, but for what is worth if you are doing mainly road riding and no track days and want a tyre to warm up quick, give good mileage (up to 18,000kms) and have good grip in wet or slippery conditions then it is hard to go past pilot road 4' from Michelin. I have them on my triumph and my Monster and have never had an issue with grip and get 15,000kms easy on the Triumph but haven't had them on the Monster long enough to wear them out yet. If you are doing some track days as well then Dunlop Q3's or pilot powers would be okay but they, like all purely sport tyres will not give you mileage. Anyway hope you find what suits you best. Cheers
Good to hear the road 4's grip well with this monster, I have them on my bmw r9t and love 'em but was wondering what another ~50 hp does to the grip availability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recommend the Pilot Road's. Had the Pilot Road 2's and I never lost traction or had any issues with their grip on wet roads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts