Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the bike is parked in the living room where it's nice and warm. I'm about to put it up on stands. I'm planning on doing a couple repairs/mods which shouldn't be too bad. However, I've never wrenched on a bike before (or much of anything else) and have no idea what tools I'll need. Hopefully it'll be a fun learning experience and not too traumatic.

I'm planning on:
New clip ons
New rear brake lever (or maybe even rear sets)
Integrated tail light/tail chop

Maybe planning on:
New exhaust
New tank

In my posession:
Set of Allen wrenches
Drill + associated stuff
Leatherman

Pathetic I know, but I'm a recent college grad living off a college campus and have never needed tools before. I'm assuming I'll need a set of wrenches (metric? standard?). What else will I need?

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
What Ducman suggested is actually a really good idea, i know $190 seems a bit pricey, but honestly that'll cover most of the tools you'll need to do nearly anything on your bike. Anything else you might need would be a special tool, or can be rented.

Justin

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
As to answer one of your other questions, you'll want metric. All japanese and italian bikes use metric sizing and unless you're working on a yamaha, you won't need those stupid torx tools.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
+1 to Ducman851

If you watch you can get that exact set for $150. They frequently have it on sale at that price. I bought one at that price.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I suggested that one as thats whats in my box that goes to the racetrack. It also has pretty much everything youll need to perform basic tasks on your bike.

Also a few other items that would be good to add.

10mm allen socket (for oil changes)
14mm allen socket (for removing the oil creen)
21mm 6pt wrench or deep socket (for removing cover plug over oil screen)
large Adjustable wrench (also called Cresent wrench)

Ill think of more

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Actually that set doesn't seem like too much. I try to look at purchases as investments. If you say I'll use it forever, well then, I might as well shell out and go for it.

Although the set is in standard and I thought it was just said that I'd need metric?

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I'm a bit partial to Craftsman hand tools too, because they have a forever warranty. This is different than a lifetime warranty (which usually means same person who purchased it new and bring your receipt). Sears does not care if you have a receipt or not - just the broken Craftsman tool to trade for a new one. I believe that Snap-On has a similar "no questions / no receipt necessary" warranty, but they are about 2x the price of Craftsman. About twice a year I break something (often it's the same something), and it's nice to just take it in and trade broken for new.

-dave

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
64duc said:
Look a little closer, there are just as many metrics as inch (sae).
Right, the set includes metric and SAE sockets and wrenches, as do most tool sets these days. I'd assume in 10 years they'll be all metric and you'll have to buy SAE tools as you need them, but such is the world right now.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Try getting it online, sometimes they have better prices than instore and sometimes you can even will call it.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
XiaoNio said:
Thanks guys. Actually that set doesn't seem like too much. I try to look at purchases as investments. If you say I'll use it forever, well then, I might as well shell out and go for it.
Thats a good attitude - I was just about to post up warning you against buying cheap tools - there's nothing worse than losing a weekends riding 'cause your cheap allen key rounded out the head of some important screw just after all the shops closed on a Saturday afternoon... Buy good tools and look after them - it's _way_ cheaper in the long run than damaging perfectly good parts with cheap nasty tools...

Although the set is in standard and I thought it was just said that I'd need metric?
Yeah, everything on the Ducati is metric. Often though, you'll find you can buy a metric and imperial toolset for less than the price of metric only ones...

Get a manual (Haines or Snyder or Factory Ducati) if you're planning on taking apart engine parts, brake parts, or major frame/front end components. Post up here for advice if you get to places where you're not sure what you're doing. You'll need a hacksaw or sawzall and some measuring tools for the tail chop. Some people will probably suggest you get a torque wrench to make sure you tighten up the rearset bolts properly, I'd be happy enough doing them by feel.

good luck,

big

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
ducman851 said:
Try getting it online, sometimes they have better prices than instore and sometimes you can even will call it.
also check pawn shops!

I have seen comparable sets at Pawn shops go for peanuts!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I am a big fan of my Snap-On tools because of the service and the fact that my Snap-On guy comes to me...I don't have to trudge out to him if something needs swapping and worry about if there is a clerk to handle the matter properly...worst case scenario..I call him up and ask him if he has one on the truck and to put it aside for me when he comes next!....and I have found personally...that my Snap-On ratchets are more serviceable and durable than my Craftsman...but it is a matter of personal feel too!

hemisphere_shuffler said:
I'm a bit partial to Craftsman hand tools too, because they have a forever warranty. This is different than a lifetime warranty (which usually means same person who purchased it new and bring your receipt). Sears does not care if you have a receipt or not - just the broken Craftsman tool to trade for a new one. I believe that Snap-On has a similar "no questions / no receipt necessary" warranty, but they are about 2x the price of Craftsman. About twice a year I break something (often it's the same something), and it's nice to just take it in and trade broken for new.

-dave

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 28 Posts