Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my '10 696 this week. Is there anything in particular that I should look for when I'm picking it up? From my lurking on the forum, it seems like some bikes need a lot more "ironing out" than others. Is there any way to tell if my bike is going to be one of the tempermental ones?

It's a 4 hour drive to the dealer (although there are closer dealers) so heading back is kind of a pain. I'm planning on looking it over, taking it for a ride and then loading it in to the trailer for the trip home. Is there anything else I should do?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
If it were me I'd have them keep the 696 and give me a 796, just kidding I have the 696 and you'll love it.

Look at the top of the engine casing, there's been a lot of people who have had oil leaks due to bad o-rings. I saw one sitting on the floor, brand new, at the Lexington, KY dealer with this problem.

Also see if you can get them to throw in the mechanics service manual. In my opinion you should get that with your bike, but you generally have to talk them into it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If it were me I'd have them keep the 696 and give me a 796, just kidding I have the 696 and you'll love it.

Look at the top of the engine casing, there's been a lot of people who have had oil leaks due to bad o-rings. I saw one sitting on the floor, brand new, at the Lexington, KY dealer with this problem.

Also see if you can get them to throw in the mechanics service manual. In my opinion you should get that with your bike, but you generally have to talk them into it.
+1

And might I add, if you DO drive the 4 hours back home (maybe with a buddy with the trailer following you) you would get the answers your looking for. If after that drive everything is OK, it'll be OK for the rest of your happy relationship together !

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. This forum has been very helpful with my purchase.

Oh, I thought about waiting for the 796 but the single sided swingarm doesn't really mean that much to me and the extra 7 horsepower isn't worth the extra grand.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Depending on the location we only get 6 months of riding. I wouldn't waste the premium time waiting for things that really don't matter.

The dealer I got the my 1100 from gave me a pretty good intro of the bike. If the aesthetics and the miles are okay, I would trust the Ducati brand and dealers for the rest. The dealer wants your business, and the service money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You will want to check that your rear brake is not squeaking. There is a Ducati "Service Bulletin" that acknowledges a rear brake squeaking problem.

I don't know if this issue has been resolved on the 2010 models. And it appears to only effect some 2009 models.

My 09 696 did not start squeaking until after a couple hundred miles. So you may end up with this issue in the not-too-distant future. Supposedly, there is no safety concern, it's more an annoyance than anything else.

My dealer is submitting a warranty claim for me and Ducati is sending them a "special" replacement brake pad. Once it gets installed, I'm post an update.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts