Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

What to do with helmets...

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  daGOOCH72 
#1 ·
How do you guys secure your helmets to the bike? The barend locks won't work for me, because I have bar end mirrors. The stock fishing line holder seems too inconvenient to use. Any other options?

Also, how do you guys carry your passenger helmet when you go out riding? Any solutions other than bungee cords or backpacks?

Thanks

#2 ·
i just got used to the fishing line holder.

as for carrying a passanger helmet, i don't pack an extra helmet often enough to have a real good strategy worked out. last time i did, i used the stock helmet-cable to secure one side, and knotted the strap around the left side grab-rail. it was ugly, inconvenient, and a bit iffy at times... but (technically) it worked.

(yup. i'm not helpful.)

#4 ·
sometimes I use the "reminder" cable that comes with kryptonite brake disc locks.

I can lock helmets and my jacket to my frame. I don't use it on my brake anymore lol. I can leave the lock attacked to my frame and ride that way it's not in the way at all. And the cable is light and small enough when coiled up to easily fit in a small pocket.

I have also used a regular cable lock coiled around the frame as well.

Either do the job. I like these better than my stock helmet cable which I lost in about a week, because you can secure your jacket (through a sleeve) as well. Especially during the summer, I don't want to carry my heavy jacket around when at a bike event or similar situation.

my .02
-michelle

#8 ·
I chose ugliness. Yeah, my helmet (although pretty new) is all black and has been banged around so much that it looks like it's going to fall apart. Not appealing to any eye. I just hang it on my handle bar and nobody ever touches it. I never understood the "flashy" helmet. My girlfriend wont even lock hers to her bike. she'll walk around all day carrying it. It's just not worth it to me. Buy the ugliest black helmet you can find, then rub it all over the inside of your closet so it gets white paint scratches on it. Although it is brand new, people will think it's been in a few dozen accident and wont even look at it. Out of sight, out of mind. The best protection in the world.

Passenger helmets? I do have a small half helmet that I can always slip inside my little back pack if I wanted to.

#13 ·
i usually just carry it with me, or leave it on my handle bar. Passengers need to get thier own >:D

#15 ·
stik said:
Carry mine around. With my leather pants on, I want to make sure people don't think I am into S&M [laugh]
[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

#17 ·
Duc-hunter said:
What l'd like to know is how the Hondas, YZFs and all those bike magicly hold helmets on their side perfectly while the bike is going down the freeway? Its like the come witha heltmet holder or what?
They have hooks under the passenger seat, pretty slick setup . . . they didn't stop my '04 R6 from getting ripped off tho . . . :'(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.