Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I was a young trouble making wippersnapper in st.augustine FL there was this old abandoned military airplane factory type place that had shut down in the late 70's the sign outside states no tresspassing gov. warning contaiminated area do not make contact with water and soil. for info call 555-whatever the number was. and that made us want in even more... of course the original reason was that we heard it was haunted and there used to be a cult taking up residence there which actually was true but it wasnt haunted with the exception of hobo's. This place was several stories tall offices and contrustion areas ... and it was trashed from top to bottom. the bums would throw nuts and blots from above on the catwalk and yell for us to leave... but we were bastards... came back with paintball guns chased the poor guy out.... blue prints for planes and slides for national defense all over the ground I even came across a very large book detailing the construction of the b-52 bomber .... which I gave to my uncle who works at northrop grumman and someone lost there job for leaving so much junk behind. I called the number and they claimed it was an old battery factory and a spill is why it was closed ... but with all the hardcore military stuff and blueprints I beg to differ... so I went back a few years ago and got all this cool junk and its been sitting around take a gander.

Five of these things laying around found in a box labled b-52

No clue but its very light weight alluminium

really heavy giant allen wrench

More lightwieght mystery crap

Now this is the stuff im interested in beside the gas caps
is it air line/ fuel line stuff or what? its super super light wieght i figuerd it for titanium but its alluminium anodized obviosly

these peices got together obviosly but why there nto air tight or anything

Any use you think? Or should I scrap it all besides the caps?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I don't think I'd do to much more digging around there. Sounds like there's some nasty **** left over.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
sorry to say, but the blue anodized bits aren't all that special - you can get them lots of places (earl's, etc.)

the gas caps are pretty cool, but i would struggle to find a use for them.

the lightweight yellow bits - no clue
make some rockets or something

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm figuerd as much its just been sitting around i might junk it all cept the caps my cousin got most of the crap outta there an almost complete jet engine for some reason and it doing something with it an a boat i dunno .. bastard i got lots of useful stuff there too though .. like super high rated straps for holding up engines i dunno why all that crap was in there.... the only uses ive found for those yellow bits has been to fix a futon and a go cart for my nephew just bits and peices kinda thing but i like to be more organized and although bits and peices come in hany for some crap its all mostly useless.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i actually put one of those gas caps on my friends truck it has more of the industrial feel than those stock ones that look like that, it looks cool

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Blue things, pneumatic and/or hydraulic fittings. Lightweight green stuff, airframe parts.

·
Registered
505 Posts
supertjeduc said:
I think the green stuff is magnesium
It's aluminum. I deal with that stuff everyday.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Congrats! You've got yourself a pile of junk! The blue stuff is a pile of pressure fittings. The last ones that you wondered about are nuts and ferules for flared tubing. Some bulkhead fittings, NPT to JIC, etc. Looks to be 1/4 and 1/8 inch mostly, blah, blah. The stuff is common and unless you have a use for it, worthless.
Scrap it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah my freind wanted a bunch of the fittings for a tractor or something I geuss I know why now I'll trash most of it the gas caps are cool though.

Anyone wanna donate to a monster fund? haha I've been lurking on this website forever wishing I had the cash for one sooooo bad I'm sick of messing around with an ancient sabre, and my freinds cbr ... I geuss Im really starting to dislike the jap stuff for some reason I think I always liked the stuff but its the people I dont like hanging out with ... all think they have something to prove and Im just there to ride and enjoy. theres always that one guy that thinks hes the best leader ever and just jumps off the side or hangs off the tail the whole time, blasts right through yellow lights splitting the group in half. Ducati riders seem different. Theres no other bike like the monster. the 03 620ie dark always cathces my eye too I cant pin why that parictular one. Monster has attitude and I like it. New job now though so maybe I'll be able to afford it soon.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
do a search on the board for a attachment for CRG levers for the clutch switch I think....you can use some of those bit to make alot of those and pawn em off that way!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Some of the mystery crap looks like vortex generators. You riveted them to the wings to create turbulent flow and increase boundary layer mixing, which paradoxically, reattaches itself to the wing surface better than it the wings were smooth and the boundary layer separated in a bubble.

The parts have zinc chromate primer on it. Wash your hands after handling. Google it. Not the safest stuff to rub against your skin or breathe.

The B-52 is a cool plane. A few years ago I tried to get really close to one of them at Andrews and was politely rebuffed by an M16 armed guard. I'm amazed the airframe has not fatigued out after so many years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts