Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done a few cosmetic and performance upgrades. What am I missing? What should I do next? Ducabike accessories and rizoma pieces. Termies exhaust. See pics below...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm with him..
Ride it!
(Maybe some decent grips. Or is that like impossible with the ride by wire setup?)
I have a few options in my cart at Motodemic. With new black handlebars from Rizoma. Ad I ride very day I can here in CO...

·
Super Moderator
3,924 Posts
Yeah, I'm with the other guys. Quit fiddling with it, and ride the f out of it.

I bought my first Monster new in 1993, a red M900 (the only choice at the time). I quickly had made a fairly big list of all the stuff I was going to upgrade and customize and improve -- and I never did much of any of it. I didn't let it off the road long enough. Instead, I put 265K miles on it, in 24 years, and it was still mostly stock at the end of that.

It's made for riding.

PhilB

·
Registered
170 Posts
Whats up with with the gap in between the grip and the controls? They are nice grips though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Whats up with with the gap in between the grip and the controls? They are nice grips though.
The switch housing is pinned to the bars, so it can’t be moved. The stock grips fit exactly the same as the Rizomas. These are the original grips...I’ve got the grip slid against the switch housing, but you can see that leaves a gap on the bar end. With the Rizoma bar end mirrors, I thought the gap looked better on the switch housing side of the grip, rather than between the grip and the mirror. I don’t know why Ducati designed it like that.
9D66AFEE-74E8-456B-98B2-081EECB7B3B1.jpeg

·
Registered
304 Posts
Instead, I put 265K miles on it, in 24 years, and it was still mostly stock at the end of that.
I hope I can do that too. By the time I have it 24 years, I'll be 82. so... Hmmmm.......... :p

Those plain black stock levers are boring.

·
Super Moderator
3,924 Posts
I hope I can do that too. By the time I have it 24 years, I'll be 82. so... Hmmmm.......... :p

Those plain black stock levers are boring.
We're about the same age, then. I was 30 in 1993, when I bought my first M900. I was 54 in 2017 when we got smacked. Below is a picture of it in 2016, on the weekend it turned over 250K miles.

My ex-wife had a 1995 M900, that I had bought for her to go riding together. She wasn't riding it much at all after our divorce, so she gave it back to me, so that's my bike now. It's yellow. Below is a picture of it on my last long trip (NH to MN). I'm traveling more these days, and carrying more stuff, so I'm thinking hard about replacing it with a nice new 939 SuperSport, and putting about 250K on that over the next 25 years, which puts me at 82 as well.

PhilB

·
Registered
294 Posts
Can't go wrong with stock levers. They always fit right, they're dirt cheap, and can be bent back into shape numerous times.

·
Super Moderator
3,924 Posts
250,000... That's a lot of rear tires.
Yeah, I figured out once that I had spent more on tires over the 24 years than I had paid for the bike brand new. ;)

PhilB

Reactions: Dvy3178
1 - 18 of 18 Posts