Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase new tires for my 900M. I bought the bike with Dunlop 207s. They are uh..... dry. It's been awhile since I bought street tires. What do you guys recommend? I would describe my riding style as 'appropriate for a Monster'. I have a racing licence but I'm fairly conservative on the streets. I'm considering taking the bike to a track day though.

I live in Austin so I do have the hill country to ride in so I will get a chance to use the sides of the tires.

I'd like to see the tires make 3000 miles.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations..... Dave

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I replaced the stocks tyres with Pirelli Diablos on my 750m and it transformed the bike (course my tyres were completely dead but..) - will definately be sticking with Diablos (omg - was that a pun..)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Pirelli Diablo (rear) worked well for my 620, It lasted 5000 miles.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am almost sure there is some kind FAQ about this somewhere on the main page.

But, I can give you my experience.

Dunlop 208s don't last long, and seem really loose when they are cold.

Pilot Sports are my personal favorite, but they spend pretty quickly too.

I am curently running Perilli Scorpions. I don't know much about them, I think they are thier sport-touring tire. I really like these tires and currently have 2k on them and think I can get 2k more. They have yet to get loose. I have ran them in the rain several times with no incidents. But, they were expenisive at 200 just for the rear.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
669 Posts
you guys order your tires online? For my cages i've always ordered tires online and then have had them mounted seperately. Does it work the same for bikes?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have ordered tires on line twice and had great results both times!! There are so many sites out there, I know I got the cheapest price around. Got the tire, removed the rear from the bike and took them both in. $22.00 mount and balance. Such a deal.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've had great luck with the Diablo. When it comes time to replace them, I'll stick with 'em...

My Multistrada came with Scorpions. So far, they've been okay. The best sport-touring tire that I've ever had in terms of wet/dry performance and wear is the Michelin Pilot Road.

·
Registered
669 Posts
bentarm,

which site do you use to buy tires?

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Pirelli Diablo's here too, I'm very happy with them...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
if you buy online, where do you take the rim to have it mounted and balanced?

Why do tires dry rot??
How can you prevent this?I am replacing my tires for new ones because of track day, but they still have some street miles left, can they be saved to be put on at a later date, and how long will they keep?

·
Registered
796 Posts
DUCnHAR,
I have heard five years from production date is a good freshness time.
If you kept them in a cool dry area you could probably store them for a couple years. I get a local shop (Japanese big four dealer) to mount and balance for $18

I am waiting for Michelin Pilot Powers for my next tires, not till june

:(

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
DUCnHAR,
I have heard five years from production date is a good freshness time.
If you kept them in a cool dry area you could probably store them for a couple years.

Cool, dry and dark. UV is bad for rubber. Another bad thing is ozone so it's not a great idea to store where there's a big electric motor (not generally a problem in a residential situation)

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Metzler Z6 if you want stick and mileage.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts