Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking into 796 and wonder what's the usual OTD price on it. Pretty much every site I go to lists MSRP. What's the usual price for this bike in my area I guess?

Also, is the service expensive on the bike and would it become a money pit after the warranty ends in 2 years? Biking will be a hobby, so I don't anticipate to put more than 1-2K miles a year on it.

Thank you,

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got my 06 M620 for 3.2k in Jul 11 with 7000 miles on it. service wise I've never had any issues, I'm coming up on 15000 and will be replacing the belts myself. expense is what you make of it, you can go to a dealer for everything and leave broke, or become a DIY guy =) I've spent more money on mods and aesthetics then servicing ...and my bike is not neglected by any means.

·
Registered
70 Posts
OTD depends on a lot of factors like 'Dealer Participation', Tire and Wheel insurance, price of unit, freight charge, setup fee, state tax, registration/title fee, documentary fee and so on. Are you trading in an old bike or is this your first bike ever?

For me it was more or less $12k OTD for a new 2012 Ducati M796 in Arctic White because I chose some upgrades.

Since this is a hobby there will be an ongoing price tag attached to that considering maintenance, upgrades, accessories and mods. If you choose to keep it stock I'd be surprised but someone people do.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
368 Posts
I paid $11.,900 OTD with the comfort/touring seat, frame sliders and the carbon fiber tank pad. Bought from Redline in Yorktown, VA

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
84 Posts
BP, where are you located (What state)? If you are in the tri-state area come into Cross Country Cycles. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I bought my 2011 796 in NH. I was put the door with a Shoei helmet at 10,600.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is a timely thread so I thank all of you who are participating. I just test rode a 2012 Monster 796 ABS today and I believe they quoted me somewhere over $13k for the OTD price. I'm guessing that I can do a bit better based on early feedback here on this site.

I need to ask some questions about the gearing of these bikes, so will start my own thread for that. :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
The "dealer fees" are usually negotiable. It depends on how desperate they are for a sale, tho. Even though you're planning on buying new, look up used ducatis you could acutally live with and talk about how "Well, I don't know, but I could do all kinds of upgrades to this one like exhausts and stuff. Look it even has the LED tail light already installed."

At the very least they might throw in some of those upgrades for "free" and leave on the "dealer fees". It's how I got my helmet and jacket for my second bike. "Well, I'd love the FZ6 over another Katana, but the extra $1000 was to buy new gear. And you're not coming down on the "fees"." So I walked out with the bike, a Shoei RF-1100, and a mesh jacket. It was about $600 worth of gear.

EDIT: Paying with cash usually helps too. You might be able to get a loan from your bank and show up with "cash". That's how I do it. They'll move the money for the loan to my checking account, and then I swipe my card. Dealers like it cause they make more money when you pay with cash, so they'll usually pass some of that along as savings.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The "dealer fees" are usually negotiable. It depends on how desperate they are for a sale, tho. Even though you're planning on buying new, look up used ducatis you could acutally live with and talk about how "Well, I don't know, but I could do all kinds of upgrades to this one like exhausts and stuff. Look it even has the LED tail light already installed."

At the very least they might throw in some of those upgrades for "free" and leave on the "dealer fees". It's how I got my helmet and jacket for my second bike. "Well, I'd love the FZ6 over another Katana, but the extra $1000 was to buy new gear. And you're not coming down on the "fees"." So I walked out with the bike, a Shoei RF-1100, and a mesh jacket. It was about $600 worth of gear.

EDIT: Paying with cash usually helps too. You might be able to get a loan from your bank and show up with "cash". That's how I do it. They'll move the money for the loan to my checking account, and then I swipe my card. Dealers like it cause they make more money when you pay with cash, so they'll usually pass some of that along as savings.
Your edit is 100% wrong. Dealers make a **** ton more money on the back end when you finance a machine. And "dealer fees" are what the dealer actually does pay. They have to pay the the shipping of the bike and they have to pay for service to assemble, wash, and detail the bike. When they discount, it is off the actual cost of the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts