Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this exhaust and know I am trying to figure out what I want to do with it; powdercoat certain parts, wrap some of it in carbon fiber. Anyways, my bike has a black frame with a gunmetal paint job with black stripe down the middle, and I am going to have these pipes high-mounted. I will try to post some pics of the bike.

Any opinions on what I should do with the pipes would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
Re: Advice on Totally Custom Pipes

Are these for a S*R monster or just a regular one?

Cause that matters a lot?

those pipes could look good in the S*R stacked way because of the design, especially if the body is PC'ed gunmetal and the covers in CF. But I am pretty sure that they are a bit too voluptuous for that.

Q [thumbsup]

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

They are going to be a dual set-up, with one on each side high-mounted. They are a little longer than I want so they will probably be am inch or two shorter. These came off of an R1 in which they were mounted under the tail, but after extensive research I have found that undertail exhausts on Monster aren't that feasibly (at least for me). Thank for the ideas though [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup].

And keep them comin' ;D

·
Registered
6,149 Posts

hmmm, i've been thinking of playing with a 'stubby exhaust' ala-yamaha m1
perhaps if these were trimmed down a bit they would look ok?

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hey know, I am supposed to be the one getting the ideas. Not the one giving them out! [cheeky]

·
Registered
6,149 Posts

that's why i said it.. you go ahead and do it
take pics
let me everyone see
and then i we can decide if i we want to do it

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

do you think I should powdercoat any parts, or wrap the middle in carbon fiber or anything else?

·
Registered
6,149 Posts

i think that all depends on the setup you go for.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

I think regardless of what you do those things're gonna look sick. :eek:

Where'd you get those?

·
Premium Member
723 Posts

How would you go about wrapping them in Carbon Fibre? I am very curious.

Depending on your bike, I would almost say leave them as is, and wrap the pipes up in heat wrap, to continue the streefighter a la gun metal.
maybe even get a really cool vinyl decal made from a sign shop and then you remove the letters and take that vinyl outline as a stencil and fill it with a gunmetal hi-temp paint.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts

Rameses said:
I think regardless of what you do those things're gonna look sick. :eek:

Where'd you get those?
they're stock cans off an 04-06 R1

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

Davesax36 said:
they're stock cans off an 04-06 R1
Ahhh, now I can see it.

They look different when they aren't covered by the seat. :)

I think they're gonna look great. Very different from anything available on the aftermarket for Monsters. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
383 Posts

I'd try it, too, if I thought it would cost me less than $150 for everything. I think the biggest problem is gonna be connecting them to the stock headers at the right angle. It would take a little bit of pipe bending to get that part right, and then there's the matter of how to get them up to the exhaust hangers..... but I'll watch this thread and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts

OK, just my opinion, but it you want it to look slick, I'd paint the can centers to match the gunmetal of the bike. Then I'd paint the silver "pipe side" endcap black to match the "exit side". If you want to go with he tougher streetfighter look, paint everything but the piping matte black, then use header wrap on the pipes. From what you've described of your bike though, I think the first option is the best.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Mount the things first then worry about the details. Mount, Post snaps, seek our council, modify, post snaps, seek our council, modify etc

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I'm liking the ideas. The only reason I wanted to figure out what to do before I put it all on is because I was going to take the exhaust apart to open it up a bit and it is just easier to do it all at once. Anywho here is a pic of the color. And keep the ideas rolling! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Attachments

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Advice on Totally Custom Pipes NOW WITH PICS!

how would these pipes look all chromed and high-mounted? Or at least polished to look chromed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts