Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've come across a 2003 1000Sie monster for sale here in Perth. :)
Private sale.
Advertised as being in immaculate condition with only 2800 city kms.
only mod mentioned is the exhaust. otherwise sounds in original condition.
asking $13,900. ::)

comments please?
thanks everyone [cheeky]

G

·
from what i've seen, its high (ish) ....but not stupidly..

2800k is low, but "city" miles means nothing. Was it run in correctly? Was it serviced at the right intervals? Who serviced it?
It's no good if the low kms its done have been hard kms.

you would want a complete service history, and to be able to ring up the service guys to back it up?
has it has it's belts done - 2 years or 20k is when it should...
how much rego?

sounds like he is trying to get his money back on the pipes which will not happen - usually bling adds nothing to the sale price - that's why you should _always_ keep the stock bits if you intend selling in the future....

this isn't the one that was on ebay is it?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, saw it in the local flea market rag over here.
I'm going to look at it saturday afternoon.
Its an older owner who doesnt ride it anymore and wants to get rid of it.
i'll work him on the price.
If its in mint condition and got a full service history, i'm thinking $12,000 - $12,500 might be a good starting point?

·
Registered
74 Posts
start at $8500 >:D

The Red Book ..............

DUCATI M1000S IE 2004

Cycle ROAD Manual 6sp 992cc
Trade in price guide* $7,200 - $8,600
National average price - private sale* $10,000 - $11,800
Price when new (RRP) $15,995
all prices quoted are GST inclusive

OR

DUCATI M1000IE S 2003

Cycle ROAD Manual 6sp 992cc
Trade in price guide* $7,200 - $8,500
National average price - private sale* $9,900 - $11,700
Price when new (RRP) $16,495

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/mcycle/index.php

·
Registered
208 Posts
G

·
not just in perth..... red book seems to be the cheapest of all guides...

my M800 was listed as well 8.4-10k for a prive sale in the red book, but I got 11k from the insurance company when they wrote it off... in Sydney... and there was no way I wold find a M800 for less than 10k anywhere I looked.... even flew to Melb to check some out..

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyways, I went and had a look at the bike on the weekend.

Firstly by myself on Sunday morning , then again on Sunday afternoon with GeoffB.
And boy am I glad he came with me!! [thumbsup] (you guys in Sydney may have Ron at Flywheels, but I've got the next best thing in GeoffB here in Perth!)

Geoff took it for a spin and discovered some serious faults with the front end.
After a pretty comprehensive test ride he concluded that one (or both) the front rotors were warped!

When he explained this to the seller I could tell the guy wasnt buying it and must have though we were trying him on.
Anyways, we left.......... without a new bike :(

Today, the guy rings me up.
Turns out GeoffB was 100% correct.
The seller took the bike to Frasers and got the same diagnosis. Warped front Rotor.

Now it seems I have the upper hand 8)

I called Geoff again and asked his opinion. The bikes pretty good except for the front end problem, which has also ruined the front tyre.

I called Frasers and got some quotes on parts.
$800 for a pair of front rotars.
$110 for a set of front break pads.
$20 Break fluid.
$210 for a new front tyre.
$850 for a full service including new belts.
$250 for 12 months rego, which expires this month.

now, I think the bike would be worth about $13K in ideal condition. Thats what the seller wanted before he was made aware of the faults.

do you guys think it is fair to deduct the cost of the above items when making my new offer on the bike??

thanks.... your opinions are greatly appreciated.

ps. how much are rotors in Sydney. I could buy them there later this month when I am in town.

cheers,
Joe

G

·
I would certainly use it as a negotiating tool.... Hows the rest of the bike? Is it calling you?

Joe: so after our test ride last week, we've found a problem. I went a got a quote to see what it will cost me to rectify and Frasers breakdown is as follows... <rattle off the list> ..... and then there's the labour to fix it on top.....

and then:
Joe: and then there's the major service to be done - 20k or 2 years, which will cost me another $800.....

The major service and the rego are par for the course - how much rego and how close it is to a service should sway the pricing to a degree, and if he's thinking 13K he's probably already thought about taking that into account. The rotor development which he had no knowledge about would not.

Me, I would offer 11k and go to 11.5k. But only if the bike is calling you to own it! That means you will be paying around $13K all up anyway. I would think that to be a fair price.

·
Registered
208 Posts
pepsduc said:
you guys in Sydney may have Ron at Flywheels, but I've got the next best thing in GeoffB here in Perth!
:-[

Right, I'm installing an earthed copper roof on the house - that sort of blasphemy could have thunderbolts raining from the heavens; and anyway it is entirely undeserved. My 10y.o. (whose bike experience extends only as far as his mountain bike - but with discs) would have noticed that the brakes were stuffed - as you would have too, Joe. (God knows how the owner rode it - infrequently, and only around the block is the likely answer).

Engine felt smooth and the service is required not because of high km's but because the belts are more than 2 years old and the bike has barely been warmed up properly in it's life. The exhausts were full of carbon. Other than that, the bike has been hardly used. Some sun damage on the CF (RH side only) and possibly a bit of a fluid leak from the clutch slave - not sure if it was hydralic fluid or grease seeping from the sproket area. Chain looked pretty crap, though. Lack of use/service.

The real plus is, of course, that Joe will not have to train himself to look for a different colour bike in the parking lot - same rich Ducati Red. And, all the CycleCat and Rizoma bling should swap straight over.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GeoffB said:
:-[

Right, I'm installing an earthed copper roof on the house - that sort of blasphemy could have thunderbolts raining from the heavens; and anyway it is entirely undeserved. My 10y.o. (whose bike experience extends only as far as his mountain bike - but with discs) would have noticed that the brakes were stuffed - as you would have too, Joe. (God knows how the owner rode it - infrequently, and only around the block is the likely answer).
[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]
oh come on Geoff! you've underestimated how important it was to have you with me with your technical knowledge.
I have a history of rash purchases.
Anyways, the guy hasnt accepted my offer of $11,500.
the bike was OK but all the little mainly cosmetic things wrong with it (sun damage for eg) as well as the front end problems meant the bike didnt scream 'buy me'.
i'm gonna hang out for the right bike, even if it means paying a bit more for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
G'day mate,I have an 03 monster 1000s ie, bought it from Sydney with 14000KLM for $11000.00.
Id push for $12000.00 sounds like a good buy,,,mine was stock low pipes sounded ****,,but i now have a set of hight after market pipes and i have that ols clasic DUCATI sound back.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.