Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I increased the mechanical preload on my rear shock last night, by tightening the lock nuts on the shock body. This came about from another thread about all up weight. As suggested by most to compensate for my weight, 230lb's.

Well It's definately stiffened things up & it feels good.
It was definately too soft before.

I also wanted to check the air pressure in the Shock cylinder. I looked & looked in the owners manual & the Ducati Service manual, but i can't find anywhere what it should be.

At the moment It's 90psi as measured with my tire gauge.

What should it be?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snick,
Hardly a definitive reply ???

Meaning, it's OK?, Don't know? Don't F#ck with it?

What?

??? ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I don't know.

Ohlins says in their owners manual to leave that to a qualified service facility. I'm with them on that.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
the shock uses nitrogen, not air. the volume is very small, so when you check it, you loose enough gas to significantly loose pressure. the spec is 12-15 ATM or 176-220 PSI.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Howie,
No Ohlins shop here! I have nitrogen cylinders here that we use for refilling Fire Extinguisher Cylinders.

My only chance is to make up a High Pressure line to fill straight out of a "G" size cylinder & re-check the pressure.

You reckon it's worth a go?

My only other option is to pull the shock off & send to Australia.

PS: I assure you it only made the slightest hiss the on the first check which was 91.5psi, then checked the second time & it was 90.5psi.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
before you try, you might want to check that you can get the sort of pressure required from your setup. I doubt a fire extinguisher would need that much... just a thought...

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
also, the suspension on the catapillar trucks they have at OK-TEDI use nytrogen, maybe if your setup dont pump up enought pressure you could track down the CAT rep and maybe do a deal.. 'Gough and Gillmore' are the reps over there I think...

·
Registered
426 Posts
You DON'T check your rear shock, you let out enough gas to significantly lower the pressure. They are filled with a regulator set at 200psi or there abouts.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys it's the stock Shock, i just assumed it was Ohlins from the reply's.

The "G" size cylinders are 2000 + PSI & can be regulated down as far as 200psi or less.

It shouldn't be too hard beecause the fill line will be off the low pressure side. So filling to 200psi should be acheivable.

So should i attempt it?

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
well if the pressure is down, one way or the other you'll want to fix it.. might as well give it a go, what is there to lose?

M

·
0 Posts
Try to find a motorcycle shop with the correct equipement
to refill your shock,if cannot find you gonna have to send it out.

Rule of thumb:don't know-don't touch

and i'm polite

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Guys,
I think i'll run it by Ducati Brisbane first, then give it a go. Can't be too hard, provided the pressures are right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts