Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what other bikes use the same carbs as the 900s? I found a cross reference to the Yamaha TDM850, but I don't know if it was imported to the US. It seems like I saw a cross reference to a Suzuki somewhere, but I can't find anything on it now.

I'm looking for an easy way to get internal parts like emulsion tubes, o-rings, etc. from one of my local Japanese bike dealers and save the hassle of the trip to my Duc dealer.

And of course, the only way they can look it up is by bike model.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The only cross I've heard of is the one you mention above. You might try Factory (the jet kit people) for the emulsion tubes & such.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
The TDM850 was definitely imported to the US. I think they sold about 4 of 'em... ;D

I think the Suzuki GS500 used those carbs, or at least had the same diaphragm. I recall reading that here or on the E-Mail list. YMMV....

Chris at California Cycleworks may be of some assistance on this.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I keep some of the Factory Pro emulsion tubes ("needle jets") in stock. None of the other stuff though. Same cars are in the Yamaha TRX850, the more angry cousin to the TDM850. "T-Rex" sounds better than "Tedium" anyhow...

:) Chris

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris, please enlighten me - Is the needle jet the same as the "emulsion tube" the dealer always wants to suggest has ovaled out so they can lure my bike into their shop?

Not having an exploded parts diagram I always read into the context that the emulsion tubes were separate but also surrounded the needle. ???

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The needle is what pokes through the emulsion tube, which is therefore referred to as the needle jet.

[Sorry for the previous confusion].

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update to my own question - After running a bunch of differrent search terms, I found that the Yamaha YZF 750 R is supposed to have the same carb, the BDST 38 CV.

I'm still unclear(yeah, I'm dense sometimes) on the nomenclature. Is the emulsion tube the same thing as the jet, or is it a separate part?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
It's not you. I think Scott is trying to keep you confused ;D

Yes, the tapered needle pokes through the emulsion tube regulating the fuel flow through the tube. The emulsion tube is also sometimes referred to as the "needle jet."

It gets ovalized because the needle bounces around causing wear in the emulsion tube or needle jet. I guess the vibration is primarily in one axis causing an ovalizing rather than round enlargement of the hole. When that happens, the bike will run rich off idle and it can no longer be effectively dialed in.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Not sure about the same as the monster but, all our HD's run Mikuni's.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the clarification! I've been playing with carb internals for over 36 years and before getting into Ducatis, I've never heard the term emulsion tube before.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Not sure about the same as the monster but, all our HD's run Mikuni's.
But the stock carbs on the HDs were all Kehins

1 - 14 of 14 Posts