Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to change the oil in my 2002 M750....Does anyone suggest synthetic oil. what brand? Any input is greatly welcome!!!

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Some people have had problems using full-synth in wet clutch bikes, reporting that it caused the clutch to slip.

I've been using Red Line full synthetic in my M750 since it's first oil change and have never experienced any clutch problems. The label specifically says that it's formulated for use in wet clutch motorcycles.

You might check the oil/oil change FAQ and the oil survey on the main part of the site.
http://www.ducatimonster.org/faq/faq_oil.html
http://www.ducatimonster.org/faq/faq_oil_survey.html

--Fillmore

G

·
My mechanic suggests Agip, an oil used in Lamborghini's and Ferrari's and other racing high revving engines. It's a difficult oil to find but can be. He's worked on Lambos and Ferrari's as well as fighter planes and has been servicing Ducati's for 15 years. I found a place in Ohio that does you can order them from. Check out this link.

http://www.evansauto.com/agipoilp.htm

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I've always used Mobil 1 and have never had trouble at all. I recommend:)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Most suggestions I see are:
Mobil
Agip
Motul

Probably hard to go wrong with any of those.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Mobil 1 15-50 - car oil available at any Walmart.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I have been using Klotz synthetic in my Motorcycles for about 10 years now. I had tried a lot of different synthetics before deciding on the Klotz. The one oil that I tried and remember not liking at all was the Motul. I remember after like 50 miles with the Motul the tranny shifted like crap. This was almost 10 years ago, and the bike I had was a Kawi, so my opinion is not up to date exactly.
However, BCM highly recommends Klotz.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Most suggestions I see are:
Mobil
Agip
Motul
Motul was one of the oils that someone on the DML reported causing clutch slip in a wet clutch.

I've used Motul in off-road racing bikes with wet clutches for years and love the stuff, but I haven't put it in my Monster (or any of our Ducatis) because of that one incident.

BTW, Motul sells multiple grades and types of both full and semi-synthetic oils and I have no idea which oil was used in the bike in question.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wanted to use Shell Advance but for some stupid reason the govnt does not allow to sell shell lubricants in USA!!!!! My first choice was Mobil 1. I have been using Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 on my 2012 monster 1100. It's full synthetic and it's for air cooled engines. Also it's made for wet clutch bikes. I haven't had any problem on slippage. I change it at 200, 600, 1,000 and 2,000. Always cleaning the screen. I know it's overkilling but I like to do it and I get the oil with a big discount, so why not?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
How about Amsoil Synthetic , I personally run Motul but i have a dry clutch and don't have any contaminated oil .

·
Registered
432 Posts
Lube

Spectro 10w-40 full synth. wet clutch no issues. Find the dirtier the oil gets, the shifting isn't as smooth, clutch action is fine???... could just be my imagination :rolleyes:

·
Registered
163 Posts
As long as you are changing regularly you shouldn't notice much of a difference. I change my oil around every 3k and have used: Respol, Amsoil, Mobil 1, and Yamalube with no ill effects.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know the local dealer has the shell advance 15w-50 in stock. I reckon that if ducati and the dealer say it's good stuff, then it must be true.

I have always used a motorcycle specific oil and I have not had one problem. I remember when I used synthetic in my 07 Honda 919; the shifting got buttery smooth and seemed to rev a lot more free (not that it didn't before).

·
Super Moderator
3,952 Posts
I don't think the specific brand of oil matters much. Use any synthetic designed for motorcycles, and change it regularly, and you'll be fine. Use the weight of oil your manual recommends, maybe switch to a lighter weight in the winter if you ride when it's cold out.

I change mine very 5K to 6K, which for me is 2 to 3 times a year. If you only ride 2K a year, change it at least once a year. If you have to store it for the winter, change the oil at least once, either just before storage, or just after taking it out (I prefer the latter. If you're persnickety, do both).

By this method, I've gotten over 80K on three previous bikes (1989 Honda CBR600, 1979 BMW R65, and 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1), and my current bike is at 237K so far, without an engine rebuild ever.

PhilB

1 - 20 of 23 Posts