Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A wicked freaking cross wind, thats what. Wow that was a touch scary. Made it a lot more weeble wobble than usual.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
this one sux:

• Mississippi River Elevation: 583 Feet.
• Highway: US-52, IA-64.
• Daily Traffic Count: 2,310 (2002).
• Bridge Type: Steel Truss Through Deck.
• Length: 2,482 Feet Overall, 520 Foot Longest Span.
• Width: 20 Feet, 2 Lanes.
• Navigation Channel Width: 508 Feet.
• Height Above Water: 65 Feet.
• Date Built: Opened December 31, 1932,

Don't look down while on the bike...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Wicked bad cross winds and rain wet roads and snow.

-ghost

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Hi_Fi_Guy said:
Mackinac Bridge

Cars have BLOWN OFF. They will drive your car across for you if you are scared. A truck will take bikes over also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Bridge
That's a bit dramatic. According to your link only 2 cars have ever fallen off...and only one was due to wind AND excessive speeds.

That car service is dumb. If you're too chicken **** to drive across the bridge you shouldn't be driving.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
While not steel decked, this bridge can get some crosswinds that are bad enough on some days. You see how big that tower is? It's big enough to protect you from the wind as you ride by for about a second or so. When you come out from behind it though, that wind can just slam you over into the other lane on a blustery day.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I dunno, steel grate bridges don't bother me that much. Yeah, it would suck like nothing else to have an unintentional dismount onto that surface... but we ride open two-wheelers, and thus we can't really live in fear, can we? I just relax my grip on the bars, let the bike do its thing (if you fight it, it feels worse), and all's well.

Crosswinds, though... those suck whether you're in a cage or on the bike. :p

Worst spans in my region? Hmm... for steel grate, the ones in downtown Portland aren't bad because they're all relatively short. The bad ones are out in the Columbia River Gorge. The Bridge of the Gods is way the hell up there (or at least feels like it). Longest span is just over 700 feet, and total length is something like 1800 feet. Not that big, but it feels tall (135 feet above the water), and the Gorge is known for its high winds. Yuck.

Bridge of the Gods - Image from Wikipedia

Another, erm, "interesting" one is the Hood River bridge. Not so much tall (vertical clearance from water to bottom of lift span in closed position is 67 feet - and the bridge doesn't even feel like it's 60-odd feet off the water), but it's friggin l o n g. And it's all steel grate. All 4700+ feet of it (for those unaware, a statute mile is 5280 feet... not much longer). This one really freaked out my brother and our riding buddy. ;D

Hood River Bridge - Image from Wikipedia

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Not a steel bridge, but the SR520 Floating Bridge across Lake Washington can get hairy. It floats low in the water, so on stormy days the waves break against it and a fair amount of water actually splashes across the lanes. It's lovely getting hit by the splash from a wave as you cross the bridge on your bike! In really heavy winds it also rocks like a boat...enough to see the flag poles sway! They close it in sustained winds over 50 mph.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
fwtcc said:

That there is the one I am jazzing on about. Not too bad if it isn't windy.
That there is a truly odd design, like a suspended truss.

This is my least favorite, though it's not long and not high (usually, and if you're up there you screwed up).

It's really narrow, has some weird s-curves and freakin train tracks in the middle of it.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Just wait until the Hoover Dam Bypass is finished. It's going to be 900 feet off the deck! That should be real freaky.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mackinac Bridge Has sign at each end saying "Yugo Over" haha That was a Michigan joke going around back when the "Yugo" did go over...ok it's been a long winter give me break----

·
Registered
956 Posts
This bridge is over the rio grande in NM. The wedding scene in natural born killers was filmed here. The vechicle give it scale.

·
Registered
315 Posts
There is a bridge that i go over for fun when im going to my buddies house. Its old and so narrow we fold in the mirrors on his truck to go across. One day we didnt fold them in and another truck came the other way. BOOM both the mirrors exploded when they hit each other.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
B-Rock said:
That there is a truly odd design, like a suspended truss.
That bridge is the roebling bridge linking Covington, ky to Cincinnati, oh. It was the model for the brooklyn bridge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts