Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new to this so bare with me. I just bought a 2003 Monster 800 Dark but I want a bit more meat on the tail end than the stock 160 rear tire. My problem is that the stock rear rim is 4.5 wide and I think I need to get a 5.5 wide rim to fit a 180 in the rear. Will the wider rim from a 1000 fit, or is there alot I would have to do to get it to match up right? Also, does anyone know where I could get a 5.5 rear wheel from? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Re:  What larger wheel will fit my 03 Monster

I've only got one 5.5" rim, and I use it on every ride, so I'm no help on that, but your handling could get a little strange with 180 on a narrower rim. Best to get the rim first.

Perhaps somebody trading up to mag wheels, or maybe you'd like to try some?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re:

I have the same thoughts, a 180 would look better than the 160 but I'm not sure the handling would be improved. I think the 5.5 WILL fit the M800 and they can be found on E-bay occasionally. They usually go for about $250.

Lee

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

ST2 or ST4 wheel or that from M1000DS. I just talked to a guy today that accidentally bought ST2 rear wheel and has no use for it since he has carby bike with smaller rear axle.

:) Chris

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have the same bike and was going through the same thing. What mods do you have on your bike?

R.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re:

ST2 or ST4 wheel or that from M1000DS. I just talked to a guy today that accidentally bought ST2 rear wheel and has no use for it since he has carby bike with smaller rear axle.

:) Chris
How much does he want for it Chris?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

I dunno. I knew 620s had 4.5" but thought 800 had 5.5"... I don't recall who he was. Ask on the big Ducati list... I think he's lurking there. :)

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Re:

The "old" M900/SS900 5.5" rear wheel has to be tweaked a bit, but it's doable.

The old wheel has to be machined to accept the new size bearings and you have to make a spacer to keep the bearing inner races in place.

Using the old sprocket carrier and spacers the wheel will fit and work, albeit the chain will chafe on an 180 width tyre and the wheel will be off center by 3mm (~1/10 of an inch).
However, the front and rear sprockets will line up.

To correct this, make the pocket for the brake side bearing 3mm deeper and trim the excess. Then make/buy 7 washers to fit between the sprocket carrier and the wheel.

Some meassurements:
New bearing size: 47*25*12 (OD*ID*width in mm)
Spacer for off center wheel 148 mm (5.827 inches)

I havn't tried using an M/SS1000 5.5" wheel yet.... But as soon as I can get my hands on one I will! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts