Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now gotton three rides in on my 98 M900, about 300 miles each. I think I am starting to get used to the ergonomics of the bike, though my knees are usually hurting for about 24hrs after each ride.

On my first ride I found myself without a clutch about halfway through the ride. Bleeding a clutch in a convience store parking lot is not fun, niether is watching the brake fluid cobble up the paint on my engine cases. :-[ The hot dogs and corn chips were a nice distraction though. :-/

On my last ride I was gassing up at that same convience store when I noticed a good size puddle forming under my bike. The fluid, which was either a very dilluted oil or a very oily gas, appeared to be coming out of a black drain tube that runs out of the front of the airbox and along the front of left engine case alongside the battery drain hose.

Can anyone tell me what this leak is? And what might have caused it? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say it sounds like maybe the float needle is stuck open in one of your carbs (98 model. right?). That would let gas run through the carb. But, I'm not sure if the gas could run into the airbox - it's kind of uphill.

That's my best guess, but I'm not sure I believe it myself.

You may want to lift the tank, pull the airbox cover and filter and watch for a while just to see what you can find.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Maybe a leaky slave cylinder for the 1st problem & blowing oil out the breather for the second. Make sure you don't overfill the oil & see if problem # 2 goes away, & either put new seals in your slave ($5), or buy an aftermarket one ($100), depending on your budget. Oh yeah, in order to moniter problem #2, clean the inside of that airbox really good & get all the old crap out of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the good information. Bike and body are now on their way to recovery.

The problem was indeed oil blow-by that was draining out of the air box. I think I may have slightly over filled the oil. The level is at the top mark when the bike is on rear stand. I am changing the oil this weekend and will try leveling it in the middle. I cleaned all the old oil out of the air box last night and will be removing the emissions equipment. I have not lost pressure at the clutch lever since bleeding the clutch. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the pressure will hold till I can spring for a new clutch slave unit.

This bike is such a joy to work on. Everything is right there.

The knee exercise is surprisingly challenging but I think may be just what I need in order not give up on the sporting life just yet. The whole site looks good. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts