Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!I've got this tail for a M from Germany.
It is a carbon part but has this grey thing over and i don't know what is.
Some say's that is a gel coat,but is similar with VTR but can also be stucco (i don't know how is in english).
On one side is only carbon on the other side is this thing.
Does anyone knows what this is?
Can i take off this thing or is better to paint directly to the grey surface?
Thank you guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
There are some eliminator kits that you can paint to match your bike. Maybe that's primer that they sprayed on top so it can be painted. Maybe you got the wrong one.

I think that's a carbon eliminator kit with primer painted on the top so you can paint it to match your bike.

If you wanted an all carbon eliminator kit, you got the wrong one.

Send it back and tell them that you wanted the ALL carbon eliminator kit.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Sand and paint the grey. It is a urethane primer surfacer.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
DP,

I think SpyDuc is confused. I think that he wanted a carbon fiber tail kit. He got one, but designed for light weight and not looks. I think he doesn't want to paint it. I think that he wants the carbon fiber to show. If that's the case then they sent him the wrong one.

I wouldn't paint that myself either. I'd take it to a shop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just wanted to change the old one. I found this carbon part witch is a special one made from materials of F1.
My bike is dark one and I wasn’t sure to buy a classic black one carbon or a carbon witch I can paint.
So I bought this one…after a while I was thinking if I can take off the gray color and get the natural carbon look…
The problem is that in the Italian forum of DMC everybody says something different for the gray material on one side…
I just wanted to know if I have the possibility to choose carbon look or paint look.
Seems to me that paint look is the easy way.

That’s what the manufacture replied:

Hi to italy. The grey surface is just colour ground for future painting. You can try to get rid of it by grinding or by chemical removers, that will not harm the carbon fiber structure. But I cannot promise a perfect carbon fiber quality to you, though it may be possible. But for good optics you will have to repaint it with clear coat afterwards. I personally would would cancel the idea as it is a lot of work and time and success is not guaranteed.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I wouldn't try and take the paint (primer) off. The carbon underneath it is not clear coated and will look ugly.

The easiest way would just be to take it and have it painted.

Any good hardware store will have aircraft paint remover. That works very good. But, you will have to sand and clearcoat the carbon fiber afterwards. It would be easiest to paint the primer.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Thumper said:
I wouldn't try and take the paint (primer) off. The carbon underneath it is not clear coated and will look ugly.

The easiest way would just be to take it and have it painted.

Any good hardware store will have aircraft paint remover. That works very good. But, you will have to sand and clearcoat the carbon fiber afterwards. It would be easiest to paint the primer.
Caution.....................Do not use Aircraft paint remover on carbon fiber or fiberglass. It will severely damage the resin. There are paint removers specifically designed for composites and others for plastics that cause less damage. They are not very effective however.

The way to go with that part is to paint it as stated by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah, either way it's going to look crappy underneath.

They make full carbon tail kits. If that's what you want, then you should send that back and get what you want.

I think the only 2 choices would be to paint it, or return it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts