Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wanted to know where some of you strange mofo's got your nickname from.
Also, whats your avatar pic mean?

I'll start:
Sodark is originally because my personality was so sadistic and dark and because i was really into hardcore music and punk. Then i started building black bikes, to where i got to my blacked out warrior and the name fit. Although, if you ever see it in person, the lower cowl has the word Misfit machined in to it in black aluminum because that was supposed to be its theme.

The avatar is pretty cut and dry. I blends everything i like, the metal pole, the hot classy Betty Page, and the little devil theme...or should i say DeVal theme.

With that I pass the torch, who's next?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Justin Sain said:
Where do I start?
[laugh] [clap] [laugh]

as for mine... I think its kinda cheesy - not a name a picked for myself, just friends and co-workers have called me it from time to time and it's the closest thing to a nickname I've got... kinda ****ed up because I'm always giving my friends cool nicknames

and my pic - well, its just stock image of my bike, scaled down and photoshopped to look like mine

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
the name was originally KnightofNi, but then the board crashed and i because the 2nd incarnation of myself. it's from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Knights who say Ni. They appear to be big and scary and make people cower, but they really are quite silly. it fits me(well aside from the appearance thing)

the avatar is there because i just don't really care what other people think of me and if they have a problem they can go play in traffic. it's funny to watch people's reactions. and believe it or not it didnt' start as a pirate thing. i just like the way it looks. it's a nice way to try and let people know that they shouldn't mess with me unless they are ready to bear witness to me brucing out on them(reference to the hulk btw) the flag is also a good way to get people that think it's scary to leave you alone. basically it's me trying to make myself think i'm a badass when i'm not.

Justin Sain said:
Where do I start?
lie down on the couch and tell me about your mother...

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
I'm a real @ss, so I'll go next and prove it...

I struggled with this when I first joined the Board...there were so many cool names and avatars and I clearly wasn't cool but had to pick something. Didn't want to use my own name (it's not cool, either), which is usually reserved for guys with a truck load of riding/wrenching/racing/crashing experience. Well, with the door wide open I got caught in my zipper!

OT is Hoss's abbreviation for Officer Toody (anyone here remember the 'Car 54 Where Are You?' TV show from the 1960s?)

Toody was the 'slow' partner, Muldoon (Fred Gwynn aka Herman Munster) was the 'intellect'.

Since getting back into riding after a XX-year hiatus (used to tool around NYC on a Honda 250 while in college), I found that I could relate to Toody's special (and only) talent - exclaiming "Oh, Ohh" whenever the 15-watt bulb in his head flickered on - as I learned new things about riding and about my bike.

Now that I've hung with you guys for a few months and have learned so much (with many miles still to go), I don't feel like OT any longer. So, I think I'll be changing to a new, more appropriate nickname in the forseeable future.

My avatar also keeps changing - kinda like some people's nicknames around here. First it was a pic of Toody and Muldoon. Then a few different pics of Janis Joplin (who was, imho, one of the coolest people, ever - but that's another story). I'm currently using a snapshot of "Earthrise from Apollo 11", because it captures in one image all the possibilities that lay just ahead...I was a little too young in 1968 to experience much of hippiedom first-hand (although I hitched to 'Woodstock' at the tender age of 15 -- Boobies, and more -- and spent a few days in the mud) and always find that brief era hugely inspiring. BTW, a friend and I can be seen very briefly in one of the clips at the end of the film...just don't ask for my f'in autograph.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Well, I opened a business as a hobby about 10 yrs ago called "HyperFormance" in which I sold performance parts for imported cars. The car I was modifiying and racing at the time was an M3. I dissolved the business but I am still Hyper in nature.

I have since made my profile name (on every forum in the world) HyperM3.

The avatar is 2 ex's ago.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Mines pretty simple "blonde one over" was the name of my bar band. The name came together when we were building our practice room in the basement. Our drummer (and carpenter) was laying out some studs and asked someone to move the wall a blonde one over 12"....meaning a very little bit vs. a black one over which would be more (insert pubic hair reference here). Everyone in the room fell down laughing because we had never heard this carpenter slang before....and we all knew that was the name.

The avy is just a little reflection of how I feel most times....and an homage to Tim Burton.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Lethe is the river of oblivion in Hades from Greek mythology. The souls of the dead would drink from it's waters to forget how ****ed up their life was and live the rest of their existence in blissful ignorance. Mythology, ancient cultures and to a lesser extent religions are of an interest to me and I thought the reference was somewhat obscure but not too obscure.

My current avatar is just an idea that I started putting together but got bored with and left it only partly done. My previous avatar was my dining room light.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
DesmosDromos is from the greek roots for desmodromic:
Desmos meaning controlled
Dromos meaning course

The cool names are always taken when you're late to the party, but I figured nobody would go using Greek. I found the info out when I was researching Ducati and bikes in general before getting my 620 which is my first ever motorcycle.

As for my avatar, it's changed a few times. I think I started out with the built-in Speed Racer one (I loved that cartoon as a kid), then went through a movie poster for "Don't Be Afraid of The Dark" and a pic of Harrold Ramis as Egon in Ghostbusters before recently switching to my Super Desmo pic from Deb. I think there was another in there that I can't recall, too. Whatever, I can't seem to settle on one for long.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
;) its all to simple, why badder?......do no

OK....HERE: greg is just english for my real name "grzegorz"(try to pronounce it [laugh] )

..and Mo comes from Monster (to be on topic, of course) and i liked the sound of this "gregMo"

like "grreeeegmmmmoooo" from L twin (especially with Leo pipes ;)) avy changes like the seasons, now the snow , before had

my wifey in ducati top , but new server flipped the pics and could not find the original, she may come back thou.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
DUCnHAR....well...I have a Ducati and I have a Harley ;) and my avatar is my 675 :p

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well, My sn originates form Fight Club
537 Paperstreet is Tyler Durdens Address
My Nick name(which everyone including my parent's call me) Originated from my friends forever ago...and no one is really sure how it started anymore everyone just calls me Mo.....eventually it started to be spelled backwards which no one really knows why. so its -oM now (still pronounced Mo)

Avatar is oM that is the logo of the screenprinting business that my friend and I are starting....So the next batch of DeVal shirt's might be from me.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
DUCnHAR said:
DUCnHAR....well...I have a Ducati and I have a Harley ;) and my avatar is my 675 :p
Deb has so many cool toys, all the boys in town are drooling ;)

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
greg mo said:
Deb has so many cool toys, all the boys in town are drooling ;)
It's an addiction.....please help me.................... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
lethe said:
Lethe is the river of oblivion in Hades from Greek mythology. The souls of the dead would drink from it's waters to forget how ****ed up their life was and live the rest of their existence in blissful ignorance.
Cool...all those souls who made it thru to the Aleysian Fields (i.e., angels in heaven) are called makarios (the plural Greek version of my last name, which also is in the Illiad). Similar in ancient Egyptian mythology...We need to talk... [cheeky]

·
Registered
669 Posts
My nickname to most of my friends is pnut, i got this years ago when I started in construction, at that time I was the smallest guy on the crew and thats what they called me. When all my freinds found out and it just stuck.
So I thought well I'll get a plate for my bike to match the nickname. PNUT was already used in the state system so I just did it in reverse TUNP,
kinda as a joke, those who know me understand what it means and it just keeps everyone else guessing.
and tiger well hes just got the right outlook on life, have fun and try to treat people right.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
it is greek for "lego my eggo" ;D - boy did i change that about 3xs

really though, on my x-country trip southerners would affectionately call each other hoss, so the group of us did the same. like saying "dude" to your buddies. for years it has been my gaming handle...

avatar - ed norton in "american history x" - because he is just a great actor. my sig quote is from fight club, another classic

1 - 20 of 28 Posts