Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several of these bikes around the way. What would you consider low / average / high mileage for a 2005 S2R? How many miles can these bikes last if cared for properly?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Your last question (how long will they last) has been discussed ad nauseam here...do a search for that.

So you are basically asking how many miles does an average rider put on in a year. Climate enters in there. Where is the bike you are looking at located?

As in anything else, there is no real "average." Think of the most basic case, two bikes, one has 10,000 in a year, the other was parked...average 5000 miles each bike. Not a true representation of either bike.

That said, knowing that an "average" milage estimate is a flawed estimate...I would say that most riders I know put less than 5000 miles a year on their bikes...many far less than that, a few a bit more (say in the 8,000 range) and even fewer, a lot more (15,000 a year is a lot of miles for your "average" motorcycle).

So in my part of the world for a two year old bike, Low: 3,500 to 5,000/ Average: 6,000 to 10,000/ High: above 10,000

My observations and opinion...your mileage may vary...

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok...so then an '05 with 8,000 miles is average and i shouldnt have anything to worry about assuming all maintenance was properly done?

·
Registered
0 Posts
it's not the year of manufacture you should look at it is the month/year it was first bought.

there were still some '05 S2Rs on the floor at a dealer near me only 6 months ago.

how old is the bike? 6 months or 2 years?

8000 / 24 months = not much mileage.

8000 / 6 months = heavy use

however, if it's been maintained and cared for, i might take the latter since it is still under warranty (i believe it transfers)

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
sunrisekid said:
ok...so then an '05 with 8,000 miles is average and i shouldnt have anything to worry about assuming all maintenance was properly done?
8k on a 2 year old bike is below average at 4k per year. Even if it were stored for the first 12 months, it's still pretty low. In the end, there's no real way to tell if it was ridden for 3 months solid and then stored the rest. I wouldn't be concerned with mileage except as a guide to maintaining the bike. It's the maintenance of the bike that should be your concern. An engine can last for a very long time with proper care and attention to its needs. In my own experience, if you're handy with a wrench, you could keep it running for as long as you want to keep the bike.

I recently rebuilt and sold a '73 Norton Commando. God knows how many miles were on that bike and when sold it was running as good if not better than it was when it left the factory.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
sonofthetis said:
I'd find it hard to sell such a classic! :eek:
It was hard, man. I sold it to finance a Triumph Bonneville restoration project. I would have 100 bikes if I had the space for them all. But, alas, I lack the space and my girl thinks 2 bikes is enough for me. Mind you, I've got my eye on a '71 Triumph Tiger that's been languishing away in a friend's shed... :p The engine is seized but I've had 2 seized of those in the past 18 months I brought back to life.

Which, in fact, brings this thread back to its initial intention! How many miles is too many?! Well, I'd say so long as parts didn't fly through the engine casing, you've got something that can live on forever with the right attention! :) 8k miles on a 2 year old bike is nothing. If the price is right and it's been maintained, go for it!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I've got just over 28k on my bike in a little less than 4 years of ownership.
Likely higher than average for a non-commuter.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
OT said:
PhilB (?) has 125,000 miles on his...check out past Featured Bikes.
ducman851 said:
Theres a ouple of other Monster riders I know in the San Diego area with 98k and 101k on their Monsters. Just like Phil, orig engine.
Anyone with over 100k on a single bike deserves a medal. Most people trade in too quickly or spend all their time doing mods to ride that much. Cheers to the fellows who ride their bikes!!! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
For reference, I have an '05 S2R (bought in April 2005). As of today, I have about 10,2xx miles on it. I ride for fun only - no commuting. I would say my riding is 85% local mountain roads, 12% rides over 250 miles, 3% cruising around town.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Sieg said:
Quote from KBB:
Actual mileages may differ substantially. Because of variances in riding styles and road conditions, it is impossible for us to determine accurate dollar values for mileage. Overall condition factors will have a far greater impact on a value than the actual mileage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts