Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I"m the same rookie who brought you "What is an airbox". I now ask you, what is a powercommander, and what does it do? What application does it hold to a stock monster 620 that is never on a track?

M

·
0 Posts
a powercommander is a add on to the factory ECU.

http://www.powercommander.com

in laymays terms the unit plugs inbetween the factory ECU and the fuel injector. There is a wire the senses the throttle position. It then adjusts the signal going to the injector and thus alters the fuel curve. The unit also has a serial/usb interface to allow you to customize the mapping inside the powercommander.

Many claim that monsters ship to the US running a tad lean. The PCIII would allow you to correct this situation. Since you can modify the map for the PCIII as you add modifications: slipons, open airbox, stronger spark, you can adjust the fuel curve. With a good dyno session you can tweak it even further.

If you make no mods I wouldnt worry about it. Just take the bike to the dealer to tweak the ECU to richen things up.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... and I thought the power commander was some sort of toy... but I have a carbed monster so what do I know?

M

·
0 Posts
lot to be admired from having a carb bike.

less wires, less hassles, easier upgrading.

·
Registered
61 Posts
PowerCommander's website does not have a map listed for an '04 M1000s? Is that because they're a bit behind on the production or is it something that the '04 does not need?

And, I'm guessing it's going to void the warranty, right?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
What is a "Map"

I looked at PC's website, and it looks as though there is a matrix of throttle position vs RPM. Then you can change the number in the cell corresponding to where in the RPM/throttle you want to tweak. What does that number in the cell mean?

Are you just building curves?

mitt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts