Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to go to a regular racing school. Seems like some use little 250 2 stroke racers etc. I've done some short tracking on 1/8 mile tracks, and a little motorcross. But I'd really like to get some formal training on a close track and try to drag the knee.

Any good recommendations in the Florida or SE US. I'd like to now have to travel too far if possible. I gave my wife a Richard Petty Driving experience for an Xmas gift a year ago and now it's my turn.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Re: What is a good bike racing school in Florida o

No FHE, but I've heard some good things about Frank Kinsey's Racing School. He's based in FL and does classes at Roebling Road and Jennings GP.

I thoroughly enjoyed Level 1 at Keith Code's California Superbike School at Jennings. I'm going to try and do Level 2 at Barber in Sept because that is the closest track they can run the Lean and Slide Bike on (Jennings doesn't have a big paved parking area needed for the specialty bikes)

Or try Sportbike Track Time (STT). $25 membership fee for the year and they do track day events all over the southeast. And for the regular track day price at whatever track they are at, the Novice groups get free instruction and on track coaching. It's a lot of stuff covered by Code's school, but cheaper. I'm doing almost all of my track days from now on with STT.

I don't know anything about Martinelli's school at Jennings.

For easy links to these schools go to [ftp]www.jenningsgp.com[/ftp] and go through their schedule month by month. Where ever a school is on the schedule, there will be a hyperlink to the company's web page.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thanks all

I did see reference to keith codes classes. I agree that the code 2 day camp at barber looks pretty interesting. $2k is a lot but I'm sure I would thoroughly enjoy it and hey, can't take my money with me when I'm worm food.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts

Yeah, the 2-day camp is kind of pricey. It makes me wonder what you get above and beyond just taking Level 1 and 2 which is a lot cheaper than the camp.

For what it's worth, when I took Level 1 at Code's school, I paid the extra $200 to rent one of the school bikes because I didn't want to wad up my Monster on my first track outing. I'm glad I did, because it gave me an opportunity to spend a whole day on a track prepped superbike. And I'd never been on any kind of modern superbike before. They used all Kaw 636s, and they were well set up and well maintained. They run transponders and at the end of the day you get a print out of all your lap times for the day. Even though the whole day is about control and technique and not trying to go fast, lap times drop with each session as you build skills by specific drills on track.

·
Registered
246 Posts

As far as strictly racing I have heard Ed Bargy is the best. He is doing some at Talledega this winter. You can get your WERA license and WERA will accept his course completion As the first weekend of your two weekend provisional novice status. I think he covers everything in very intense one and two day courses. Prices are reasonable too. Edbargy.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts