Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing my tank with carbon, instead of with replacement dark tank, since it's actually cheaper. My only concern is what will happen if the bike falls. Will the carbon just break instead of dent? So basically I want to get some bars that would hopefully not dent the tank. I guess I could just get some straight drag bars, but I dunno if I want those. Suggestion?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Re: What handlebars don't dent the tank when dropp

Mounting angled clip-ons below the tripple will do. The riding position will be pretty extreme though. Mounting drag-bars is also an extreme change. Is it really so important that you'd change your bike's characteristics and comfort for it? I'd change to some fixed clip-ons if they hold, but it's unlikely.

H

·
0 Posts

Above the tree clip-ons can get the bars further away from the tank, but if you drop it, your still fu<ked. Just a different kind of fu<ked.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Herb, what do you mean "a different kind of fu<ked"? I already have frame sliders, so hopefully they'd protect the tank in most cases...

·
Registered
76 Posts

I'd be very surprised if my Tommaselli clubmans would hit the tank...
http://slum.net/monster/clubman2.jpg
http://slum.net/monster/clubman1.jpg

(I really should take some more recent pics..)

Reach isn't bad, definately more extreme than the original bars, but not really a stretch - Im on mine min 2hrs a day w/o strain, also those are adjustable, which is nice. I later angled them down further than the picture shows..

Something else to consider is if you have adjustable forks, you might need taller bar risers if you go with flatter handlebars - they may not clear the fork caps. I have a Dark with the cheapie forks, so its no prob.

I'm looking into carbon, too, to replace a damaged-by-P.O. Dark tank.. What are the various sources/prices you're seeing out there for non-DucatiPerformance CF tanks?

·
Registered
849 Posts

My stock S4 bar/ clipon never touched the tank - it simply crumbled away in my hand as I was sliding along...

-R.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

my Rizomas dented the tank when I fell, but here's what I noticed.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Interesting thought about the steering stops, I should take a look at those. I do know for a fact that my bar hit my tank because it bent. I hade to bend it back out with my foot to ride normally and there are definite stress marks on the chrome. I wonder if I bashed the steering stops at the same time though...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

yeah, on my bike...well I hit the right side. When I turn my handlebars to the left, the steering stops prevent anything from hitting the tank. BUT, when I turn it to the RIGHT my bars go RIGHT into the new dent, and I can even feel a little resistance then *snap* and it moves that extra 2 or so inches and goes into the new dent.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

I saw a monster with a carbon tank go down at track day. Made a gaping hole in the side of the tank. I guess it was a good thing it didn't catch on fire...

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Allright, maybe I should reconsider the carbon tank. I don't plan on going down, but I also didn't plan on someone backing into the parked bike. Anybody know anything about the plastic tanks that are supposedly available for Monster's in Europe? Maybe I should think about something like that...

·
Banned
551 Posts

As far as the steering stops go - I would believe that those give way before the handlebar breaks (for stock clipons) at least mine did. The weld on the stop was ripped at the end - allowing the right bar to leave me with a nice dent - and the base of the clipon dented the very front right corner of the tank.

On the platic tanks - I don't think they passed whatever US highway safety regulations to make then onto the US Dark bikes. That is what I have heard - so you could buy one - but I don't know how you could get busted for it. Last thing a piggy is gonna do is knock on yur tank and even know that that is a problem. You could run into trouble with inspections if people know or care what they are doing.

N

·
0 Posts

I have a monster over here in the uk - and I am wondering about those drag bars you mention. What are they? Ihave stock bars now and I want a bit more 'tuck' without losing the ability to manouvre quickly in traffic..... will they do it? what do they look like?

Could be good...... ;)

M

·
0 Posts

I've seen a lot of Steel tanks that come apart at the lower seam- so steel is no guarantee of surviving a crash (and you already know what handlkebars do to them).

If you get a CF tank, make sure it is pre-preg and kevlar lined.
A good tank will take a big hit before delaminating. The wet lay up units will come apart.

My 916 fell off of a 3 foot high work table. The bike fell against a square steel post with the pre-preg CF tank taking the entire hit. The paint was scratched and it wept a little gas when filled to the top. Our CF patched it from the inside.
If it was steel it would have dented.

I've seen a number of our customer's CF tanks that have survived low sides with no dents- just scratches that are easily repaired.

It is important to remember there is a huge difference in Carbon Fiber construction. If you get a good quality product you will have no worries.

·
Registered
95 Posts

You may want to try some of the tapered bars such as Pro-Taper or Magura. These bars ar super strong and survive many dirt bike crashes without a snarl. The Magura bars are now standard on the S4R, the only hitch is that they are 1 1/8" at the clamp and then a normal 7/8" at the end. This would require some modifications to your clamps, Spiegler may make a clamp that would work or you could probably fit the S4R clamps (but Ducati want sooooo much money for parts)

The other good thing with these type dirtbike bars is that they have so many nice bends that you are bound to find one that fits you.

Good Luck
Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I checked out the fram bosses on my bike today and they look like they're in solid shape. I may adjust the steering stops a bit though, we'll see...

It is important to remember there is a huge difference in Carbon Fiber construction. If you get a good quality product you will have no worries.
Well, considering that I was going to order the tank from MotoWheels, like most things on my bike, I hope it's good quality... :)

Actually, I'm going to be ordering a bunch of stuff from you guys in the next couple weeks when I get my insurance money, so I'll give you a call first and see what we can do.

-Jordan

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts

Hey Jordan, just remember you'll need a new tankbag if you have a magnetic one now. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts