Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Can anyone tell me what each of the letters mean in "S4Rs"?

In general, I always thought 'S' meant 'sport', or higher performance than the base model, 'R' is for racing, not for the street. In this context, I guess why they might use both 'R' and 'S'... and I assume the '4' stands for the number of valves per cylinder... but what that lower case 's' means I don't know.

Who knows? The words could be in Italian for all I know, and since I have one, I'd like to put a name on my addiction:)

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
It was done to differentiate the 4 valve monsters.
S4 - 916 desmoquattro
S4R -996 desmoquattro
S4Rs- 998 Testa

This gets mucked up a bit as the S4R was also used for a base model 998 Testa

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought an "S". I thought the "S" had the Ohlin suspension upgrade and a few carbon fiber goodies???

Bill

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, Chupa, for connecting the engines to the models... That makes lots of sense.

I also found reference to the 'SR' line of bikes online, but nowhere have I seen anything that says the first capital 'S' means 'Sport', and the 'R' stands for 'Racing', and the small 's', at the end stands for '_____'.

At one level, I don't really care, because it's just a name. But at another, I really want to know about the particular bike I'm riding and not just assume something because it made sense.

Plus I still can't figure out why they used the lower case 's' at the end.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
It is just a model identification thing, unlike the sportbike RS that uses very expensive racing parts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Azduc, what year is that? When you said 'S' I thought you meant you had the new 1100 2 valve. Cool bike. I like the carbon clutch cover and exhaust. Once I figure out where I'm living I'm thinking on putting on a full termi, but right now I don't want to go off stock. I can't get it registered in Cali.

The first pic I posted was first ride on it. The last one shows that stabilizer and new levers, both additional 'performance upgrades'. Next will be a slipper clutch:)

Chupa, I get you it's just a naming convention, I just wanted to know why they chose the letters they did. Kinda like the Desmosedici... I couldn't even say that name until I realized 'sedici' means 16, which in this case means the numbers of valves. My point was they usually name the bike with a name that reflects it... They did the same with this one. Just wondering if anyone knew the words beyond the letters. I guess the important part is just knowing which bikes each go to and what they were about. 'S4Rs' means 'outrageous' in any language:)

That 996 is about as cool as they come, nicely customized cool livery. Yours?

·
Registered
18 Posts
NoMod,

I wished I could tell you. I actually have not taken delivery of the bike yet. I'm in Az and the bike is in Cali. It'll be delivered on the 28th to me.

Chupa,

I thought my bike was trick......your's is awesone. Unfortunately as a motocrosser is see "raging woody" as a Honds mascot, Still nice effect.

Bill

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, that is bad ass:) So many goodies in that package:)

So according to your badge on your guages, that is a race version, of the sport version, of the race bike:)

AZDUC, funny you say that... My bike has been in Cali for the last 7 weeks too. Hopefully we are going to be reunited soon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is really outstanding.

Can I ask for one more pic? What did you use for a beer tray? I like the look of a chop but hesititate at really altering the bike so permanently.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Again, bad ass:) I cut/took off the reflector thing on mine and hung my plate under the fender. But I think at some point I want to clean up the tail a bit more. Honestly, slipper clutch is probably the next thing I should invest in.

...anyway, thanks for the pics and the info:)

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
S4RS name explained

S: single (rear) swing-arm
4: 4 valve
R: race (as in racing engine, not literally but close enough for the S4, not so for S2)
S: sport (top of the line with Ohlins and CF goodies AND radial mounted Brembo front straight from racing set ups). BTW I owned both S and non S models and there is a huge difference in handling. Go for the S if you can afford it.

If you are one of the lucky ones who bought the last series ever made, the S4RS Testastretta, this is the same as above with Testastretta (narrow head) engine. This is the 998 engine that powers the late model 999 except they civilized it by replacing shower top mounted racing injectors with conventionally mounted injectors. That plus the intake manifold are reduced to 50mm from 55mm and the stock exhaust is a 44mm instead of the 50mm. You can remedy the latter by installing a full Termi. You can visually identify the testastretta engine by the big oil sump belly (looks like an upside down pyramid) which is absent in previous S4. The beauty of the Testastretta, aside from more power, is that by moving the overhead cam shaft closer, they also made it a lot easier to service.

More about S4RS are awesome IMHO

FYI: as they moved from 998cc to 1098cc they changed from round to oval air intakes and that apparently boosted the torque quite a bit. I owned a 1098 and compared to my S4RS, it had a lot more low end and it was nearly impossible to keep the front wheel on the road in 1st-2nd-3rd gear accelerations. Of course you can do the same with an S4Rs but you have to *want* to do it (stock pipes, ECU). That being said, a little known fact is that the Streetfighter is a lot longer than the S4Rs (about 25mm longer, more than an inch) to keep it from wheeling all the times. Long story short, the geometry of the S4RS is very close to the 1098 (wheelbase, rake angle) than a Streetfighter so if you are looking for a kick @ss naked that handles as close as it gets to a SBK, you may be surprised to know that it is not the Streetfighter, it's the SR4S.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts