Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
I have the same bike and I just moved my turn signals to the inside of the bar ends coming out the back of the tail. I bought small, oval orange lights, cut the sleeve and bonded the light covers to the bar ends underneath the license plate. I stuffed the wires into the slots that were already there, although it doesn't hide them very well. It looks awesome, but I think they are pretty illegal. I'll post a pic when I can.

S

·
0 Posts
they are illegal at least in massachusetts (where i'm at). the directionals have to be a certain distance from the center of the motorcycle. what that distance is, i don't know ;)
mine are mounted right on the brakelight lens but i don't think much of it because my bar-end signals shine front & back anyways.

S

·
0 Posts
neither the directionals or the mufflers are tied to the suspension so that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good call Strati- I guess my newbie status is correct. :'( Burninator- Interesting set-up. 8) Right now I just have them sticking out of the sides. With the tail cut I fabbed a couple of pieces of AL just behind the tail light for them to attach to. I pulled them in tight enough that almost all of the stem is actually under the seat. Looks good, probably look better with some smaller aftermarket blinkers. :-/ Eventually I think I;m gonna try the Strati version with the flush mount V's on the tail light.
BUZ.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
As far as I understand in CA you don't even legally need turn signals. All you have to do is "visibly signal" when turning or changing lanes. Supposedly hand signals count as a visible signal. I know a number of people who run without turn signals on their bikes and they've never been hassled about it...

-Jordan

·
Registered
196 Posts
Virginia and DC also don't require blinkers, I think. But if the local fuzz is watching you better use the arms, my buddy on a custom H/D Chopper got nabbed at a cost of $200.
BUZ.

S

·
0 Posts
hey buzz,
your setup sounds pretty cool. if you can, post a shot or two. i think the shape of the OEM signals is pretty cool, but just thought they stuck out way to far. frankly, i was too lazy to fab up a bracket for them which is where i thought to stick on those flushmounts on the brakelens. dug the look... kept it for the long run ;)

R

·
0 Posts
I think here in PA, the rule for rear signals is they must be 11 1/2 inches apart. That looks like it may be ok here.

S

·
0 Posts
I dont like them. I think there are some better options especially if you are going to chop the tail.

S

·
0 Posts
ahh... travel can be good and bad, no?

dunno if any of the feathercarbon short rear huggers'll fit your 620. i just combed through a couple of the spare parts catalogs from www.ducati.com/bikes/catalogs.jhtml and it doesn't look like the 620 uses the same unit as the other bikes. hrm... you could try emailing him to see if he'd be interested in making one. it would require first that he sees the demand for a part to be made, and then he'd need a sample (your OEM plastic one) to use to make a mold for the carbon version. try emailing him to see! oh yeah, i'd recommend going with the "armordillocf.com" version if you want to match any other DP carbon parts. the feathercarbon.com stuff is INCREDIBLE but is a different weave. if you get ALL feathercarbon stuff, then you're all set, but i personally like my carbon to match the DP stuff that came with the bike.

S

·
0 Posts
As far as I understand in CA you don't even legally need turn signals.
Incorrect. The CAVC requires that motorcycles built after, I think, 1/1/74 to have turn signals amber or red in color. They have never been hassled because most traffic "enforcement" in CA is really revenue generation. They go for the easy high dollar picks like speeding and rolling stop signs/lights.

<rant>Personally, I can't stand those friggin morons that move their brake light to up to the left side foot peg and rip off their signals or pull their signals and make one side of their tail light blink. The ones that bug me the most are the people that hand signal cause they think it's cool, but can't even be bother to lift their friggin arms up so that some one can see that they are actually using hand signals.</rant>

Here's a no joke story that should scare the **** out of anyone. I was waiting my turn at the DMV to take my motorcycle test and watching the cage people in front of me.
The people two cars in front of me didn't understand why the examiner wouldn't let them take the road test because even though one brakelight didn't work, the other side and the CHMSL light still worked. Idiots.
Then the lady in the car in front of me got off to a rousing start. The examiner asked her to make a hand signal for a left turn, she correctly stuck her left arm straight out. Then he asked her to signal for a right turn, she stuck her *right* arm straight out. English wasn't her first language so he asked her to do it again, perhaps giving her the benefit of mis-understanding or being nervous, and she did it again. Scary. As I was getting my license finalized ( of course I passed ;) ) I heard the examiner coming in telling the woman that she didn't pass.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts