Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Re: What do you think about this "reusable&qu

assuming they work as well as the OEM filter, you could buy about 7 OEM filters and not worry about properly cleaning them.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

You really want to get into a warranty discussion with your local Ducati service manager?

Do you really want to take a risk with your expensive Ducati engine?

Not worth it.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

I don't even understand the point of a billet oil filter... you can barely see it.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts

i like this part:

"This filter is proudly made in the USA."

unlike your motorcycle

H

·
0 Posts

Several on this board report of leakage problems, one bad enough to down the bike. I'll buy the Ducati filters, thanks. Plus they're lighter than a hunk of billet! ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts

I've got one and I've been nothing but impressed. ..no oil leaks, either. One of the big selling points for me was that it filtered down to some miniscule micron (it's too late to remember the exact numbers), much smaller than the OE filters while flowing at a substantially higer rate. I also like the fact that every oil change I can see how much metal my motor is or is not making. That's a biggie. You might be able to catch something going wrong before it gets REAL expensive. And as far as what my local dealer has to say.. F'em. They're the biggest group of idiots... I wouldn't trust them to change a tire on my XR50.

T

·
0 Posts

As long as it meets specs, the warranty issue is dead. Ducati or any other one else for that matter cannot require their oil/filters etc. due to the Magnus-Mosss Act (1982) The quote was from the billet oil filter people and is accurate.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-2312 (1982), and the generalprinciples of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brandof filter unless the manufacturer provides that item free of charge under terms of the warranty. So, ifyou are told by a dealer that anything other than a specific brand of filter will void your warranty, askfor the statement in writing (you won't get one), and request that filter be supplied free of charge. Ifyou are charged for the filter, the dealer will be violating the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and other applicable law. This is a federal law and the Federal Trade Commission has authority to enforce it, including obtaining injunctions and orders containing affirmative relief. For more info do an internet search on "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act".

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

No one is suggesting you have to use a DUCATI filter - just any conventional disposable filter that meets normal specifications.

If the reusable flter is such a great idea, why is it not a more popular one, made by more than one manufacturer? Why are most vehicles proptected by disposable filters?

How did this manufacturer get finer filtering AND more flow out of a filter at the same time? A filter expert will tell you that's a contradiction, unless you make the filter HUGE in comparison to others.

This product defies a lot of conventional wisdom. Sometimes that's because a product is a real breakthrough and will soon be followed by dozens of copycats. Most of the time though, it's because a manufacturer is trying to differentiate themselves somehow from the pack so they can get a larger gross margin (charge more money) for their product in the short term, and their long term claims turn out to be not trustworthy.

The act quoted above does not protect you from such people.

Just my experience.

Jim G

M

·
0 Posts

to me it's not worth the time and money to clean an oil filter

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Re: What do you think about this "reusable&am

No one is suggesting you have to use a DUCATI filter - just any conventional disposable filter that meets normal specifications.
Actually quite a few people, including me, suggest that you stick with Ducati filters. There have been problems with other brands, such as Fram, and the few dollars you might save just aren't worth it. Nothing but Ducati filters for any Ducati I own!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: What do you think about this "reusable&am

If the reusable flter is such a great idea, why is it not a more popular one, made by more than one manufacturer? Why are most vehicles proptected by disposable filters?

How did this manufacturer get finer filtering AND more flow out of a filter at the same time? A filter expert will tell you that's a contradiction, unless you make the filter HUGE in comparison to others.
To be honest, I don't think I've seen reusable filters in any other automotive applications. I have however seen them used in almost all modern 4 stroke motocrossers. Also, when I first came into the Coast Guard, the ship that I was on used reusable filters for both main powerplants (V8, two stroke diesels the size of a UPS truck), all three of our generators, and our hydraulic/generator. As an engineer, I got to know those all too well.

The better flow and higher filtration characteristics come from the rather simple design of the filter. The filter material is made up of a stainless steel cloth of sorts for finer filtering and is arranged in an accordian manner to give the filter a greater surface area, promoting greater flow.

This filter is for some... and not for others. I just thought I would share my experiances....

O

·
0 Posts

the reason throwaway filters are so popular is because it's hard to get owners to change their oil never mind clean their oil filter too. in other words, there (throwaway filters) for lazy people. the scott's oil filter is a superior product well worth the money but that's just MHO ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts