Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I am still in the decision making process. I am having a hard time deciding if I want a dry clutch S2R1K or wet clutch S2R800. while I find open and chattering dry clutch appealing I also find the wet clutch appealing. The dry clutch will add to the customization of my Monster ie; no cover, custom covers, custom springs, etc on the off side I will have that added noise to deal with but I always wear ear plugs so its no big deal. the wet clutch while remaining quiet will also leave me more room monetarily to spend money on important upgrades such as suspension and other high ticket items.

any suggestions and opinions from both sides of the clutch family? pros cons etc

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I want a dry clutch now... :) but i have to wait till i can get a different Duc now that i already have an S2R800

·
Registered
498 Posts
Dry all the way baby!!! >:D

Wet on a Duc is kind of like listening to the Orchestra with no percussion section. :-[ (No offence to the wet clutch guys. Just my opinion.)

Comming off of a modified TLR1000 you'll most likely want the performance benifits later down the line. >:D [thumbsup]

Its easier to save your money to modify the dry clutch bikes later, then to have to sell the wet clutch bike latter. ;) (Note: I'm basing this off of what you currently ride.)

Take your time and save your $$$ for what you really want and will give you the most room for growth in the future IMHO. :angel:

The newer dry clutches are not as noisy as the older ones. Different backing plates gets rid of the metallic rattle and is now a very satisfying Clackity Clack. Plus the Dry slippers are much better in function than the wet versions I've sampled. ;) (Again no offence fellas. Just a personal observation.)

If you are eventually going to add in different suspension, you would be best served financially by purchasing an S4Rs to start with. It's a hell of a good deal as far as what it comes with stock. It's the reason I traded my 04'S4R in. I was after the suspension and radial brakes, and the smoother and more powerful Testastretta motor was just the icing on the cake so to speak. ;D

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
SHADOWCHASER said:
Dry all the way baby!!! >:D

Wet on a Duc is kind of like listening to the Orchestra with no percussion section. :-[ (No offence to the wet clutch guys. Just my opinion.)

Comming off of a modified TLR1000 you'll most likely want the performance benifits later down the line. >:D [thumbsup]

Its easier to save your money to modify the dry clutch bikes later, then to have to sell the wet clutch bike latter. ;) (Note: I'm basing this off of what you currently ride.)

Take your time and save your $$$ for what you really want and will give you the most room for growth in the future IMHO. :angel:

The newer dry clutches are not as noisey as the older ones. Different backing plates gets rid of the metalic rattle and is now a very satisfying Clackity Clack. Plus the Dry slippers are much better in function than the wet versions I've sampled. ;) (Again no offence fellas. Just a personal observation.)

Rub it in why don't cha!!! ;D

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I have one of each. They both work fine. The noise of the dry clutch doesn't bother me, and the quietness of the wet doesn't leave me yearning for the noise.

One word about open dry clutches. Don't. A really slow lowside can ruin all that expensive bling.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
After putting 8K miles on my dry clutch M900 over the past year, I have been riding the wife's wet clutch MTS620 lately while the M900 is getting renovations...so:

I prefer the sound and bling of the dry clutch, but

I prefer the lever pull of the wet.

Overall it's hard to choose, I don't prefer the action of one vs. the other. But if you're going to be doing a lot of commuting in traffic like me, I would seriously consider the wet.

G

·
I've got a M944 with (practically) straight pipes, pod filters, an open clutch cover and a really loud aluminum clutch basket.

I love it! [thumbsup]

I've also got a M750 with quiet pipes, a full airbox and a wet clutch. Whisper quiet.

I love it too! [thumbsup]

Each is nice in it's own way. All depends on my mood.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Sounds like you really want the dry. You like the sound. You like the bling. Those are the reasons to have one.

·
Registered
473 Posts
A Duc's a duc. Like the others have said -- each has its advantages. If you sit in traffic or commute a lot, go with the wet. If it's a tooling around pastime, go with the dry.

Either way, you'll park next to a blinged out Busa and you'll be the one getting the attention. I love doing that to the guys around here! :angel: >:D

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I've had a 620 for a year and love it, but as soon as I heard an S4R with an open dry clutch, I knew I was going to have to upgrade. Now I'm looking to get an S2R1K.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
depends on her age... and if she's drunk or not.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'd warn against a dry clutch if you've got any weakness in your left hand, as the pull can be more than some folks are ready for. That said, I was about half-way home on it's maiden voyage when I adjusted the levers to best fit and no issues since. I actually like the clutch open (with a good cover to protect the bits underneath) as much for it's ability to tell me where I'm at in the friction zone (you can hear the difference) as the bolts in a steel can sound it gives off.

Ken

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
For those with complaints with the pull of the dry clutch lever, buy a aftermarket clutch slave. I was having issues with the clutch on my '02 M900Sie while commuting in Japan traffic. After the installation of the MPL slave I have no complaints. While it's not as easy as my wife's Honda Hornet 250, it is MUCH easier then the stock. Now there are no issues with clutch work while dodging mirrors in traffic.

When I was younger and knowing little about bikes, the dry clutch rattle was the thing that made the Ducati a Ducati. Any bike could be near me and it was just another bike, but the alure of the rocks in a can rattle had that ..."ooo ducati" as if I was looking at something really special.

It's up to what you like. I have a dry clutch, because my bike cost me 50% of what the local dealier had the same bike for. $3200 I couldn't pass up the deal.

·
Registered
444 Posts
granted I have a s4r BUT on my kawi 636 with a wet clutch the pull was harder then the one on my s4r....

But you are talking about more then just a wet vs. dry clutch. Doesn't the 1000 also have the better brakes and suspension and the bigger engine too. I would say ride them both but I would never go for the smaller bike just cause of the clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
I have an M750 with a wet clutch. It's become a dry clutch 900 this winter. Does that say anything?

;D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.