Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Pondering heavily about buying it. Not gonna give details just in case some of you people try to take my baby before I can get the papers signed

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I'M GOING I'M GOING! lol.
Magnus, the paintjob looks ace upclose and not in the pic, it's really beautiful when you see it in person!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I just noticed the glitter...

I wouldn't say Monsters are prone to tankslappers. There seems to be no clear reason for tankslappers to occur, so no clear prevention method so far. When they happen, they happen...

Some of us put steering dampers for precaution. Never heard anyone say "steering damper saved me from a tankslapper" though [smiley=grin.gif]

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
That was a stock color, believe it or not.
Affectionately known as the Rainbow Trout ;D

If you like it, screw what anybody else thinks.

kinda reminds me of the Silver Shotgun (http://www.bevelheaven.com/FotoPage-37.htm)

oh, and i will say im convenced the damper saved my wife from a slapper. the bearings failed (due to screwing up the install) and the wheel partially came off while going about 30.
i think the damper helped enough she was able to stop w/out dropping it. pretty unusual case, though

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
just get the bicke, It looks nice and clean. The tank. :-/ well you know if you like it who is to say what is best for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
As far as tank-slappers go I don't think monsters are more or less prone then any other bike with a similiar set up! As a young buck I had a 1971 CB 100 and damn if that thing didn't give me head shake almost every time I was out on it, plus a couple VIOLENT slappers, I don't know it could have been me I was 16 and really really stupid!!

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Some of us put steering dampers for precaution. Never heard anyone say "steering damper saved me from a tankslapper" though [smiley=grin.gif]
I had one time where I lost front end grip at about 80 mph and when it caught I got 4 or 5 occilations that were strong enough to throw my magnetic tank bag off the bike. If I hand't had a damper, I think that one would have gotten ugly. Definitly still a pucker factor of 10 though.

That said, I don't think that Monster are any more prone to tankslappers than any other sport bike and there are some that have known issues with it and people still ride them (TL1000 comes to mind). Sport bikes, like performance aircraft, are designed to ride that edge of instabillity to get good cornering performance. I think a steering damper is probably good insurance on just about any sportbike, the Monster is nothing special.

Have you seen the rainbow trout out in full sunlight yet? It's quite a thing to behold, some would call it near blinding. ;D

I had a red metallic tank on my bike for a few weeks while I was getting the dark tank painted. Everyone I know refered to it as the "disco duck".

--Fillmore

1 - 16 of 16 Posts