Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty self explanatory.. I'm looking at a 97 monster 750 with 6400 miles and it is carb'd... what difference does that make versus fuel injected .. goods/bads
thanks for your help guys...
i've learned more off this site in two weeks than you could possibly imagine [clap]

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
IMO

FI=a lot of electronics that I can't work on (read $76 per hour labor at the Duc shop)

Carb=simplicity. (read I can do all of my own work. )

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Fi works better, requires less tuning, and give more HP.........in theory. I'm with JC though, I'm perfectly happy to tinker away with carbs.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Depends on your situation. J_C and Norm mentioned some great points about Carbs. I live at 5,300ft elevation and can ride to over 11,000ft in about 2 hours, so FI offers better flexibility for my riding.

·
Registered
322 Posts
pretty much personal preference. me, i love efi. i think carbs are a big pita and have zero desire to 'tinker' with them. but, that's just me. i also prefer the throttle response of a fuel injected bike. then again i am a technology nut!

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
They both have their good and bad points. Once my FCR's were installed I have never had to tinker with them. You'd also have a terrible time proving those things were slow on response.

That said, if I ever move to Colorado then I'd most likely go with F.I.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I'd have to agree w/ Mac. The FCR's are just as good if not better than FI ;D. It is nice to be able to plug and play w/ the FI bikes, but unless you plan on spending the money on a pcIII or Tuneboy, you'll be headed to a shop for remapping when you want to make a change of some sort...or at least that's my understanding of it. W/ the carbs, making any performance (exhaust, ect) changes, requires very littly, easy to perform tinkering of the carbs, especially the FCR's. W/ the money you'd probably save on a 97 750, you could place your FCR order through Chris @ Cycleworks and have that thing singing just as nicely as an FI. But maybe I'm biased by my love of my FCR's.

How much of the work do you intend to do yourself? Or what kind of changes to you intend to make first, second and/or third?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I wouldn't let carbs vs. FI be the deciding factor in your purchase. Either, set up properly, work just fine.

I have a '99 with FCRs and wouldn't give it up for anything... but my next bike will be an FI sport-tourer (prolly).

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
CRASH! said:
I wouldn't let carbs vs. FI be the deciding factor in your purchase. Either, set up properly, work just fine.

I have a '99 with FCRs and wouldn't give it up for anything... but my next bike will be an FI sport-tourer (prolly).
Hey Crash,

I recently added an FI sport-tourer....a Triumph Sprint RS. The RS is more focused on the sport side, so the ST may be more what you're looking for. But if you haven't considered them, they may be worth looking into. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
It is a flat slide racing carburetor made by Keihin.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
if your asking this question....FI would probably be the way to go for you. it sounds like you don't tinker with engines alot. just MHO.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I live at 2000' & regurally ride from 0' to 6000'+ & don't need to rejet for anything but racing (which I don't do). If you have a problem with a carb, any decent mechanic can fix it. If you have a problem with anything on a FI bike (like one of MANY sensors, wires, "brain" box, etc.), you usually need a dealer only diagnostic machine & OEM parts. If I had a choice, I'll always get carbs, but if the right FI bike came along at the right price, I'd buy it anyway.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
FI all day every day. When I switched to my R6 with FI, it was a God send to be able to hit the start button and have it start instantly everytime reguardless of weather/temp. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
799 Posts
BMiller said:
FI all day every day. When I switched to my R6 with FI, it was a God send to be able to hit the start button and have it start instantly everytime reguardless of weather/temp. [thumbsup]
You know, I NEVER have any problems starting my carby 900. I don't know if it is the fact that not many people know how to really tune a carbed bike, but with a touch of choke in colder weather (downwards of 30F) it starts right up. No holding the start button, just a tap and its rolling.

But anyways man... you'll be happy either way. Especially if you are not extremely mechanically inclined. It's only us who have big preferences. If there truly were a right answer here, 99% of us would have one or the other.

·
0 Posts
You know, carbs have been in use for, what, over a century? I think they probably will fuel your Monster for awhile longer.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
5891jonathan said:
You know, carbs have been in use for, what, over a century? I think they probably will fuel your Monster for awhile longer.
+11tybil

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The important thing to remember here is that I'm always right and anybody who disaggrees with me is always wrong :police: :mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts