Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2005 S4R (996 EFI) with a full arrow system and cut airbox.

I recently purchased a PC3. Decided to do the install myself, first crossed up the wires and the bike wouldn't start. Figured that out pretty quick and got it right and she started right up, but something is wrong.

She runs a hell of a lot better, but is way down on power (We're talking maybe 400cc kind of power) and very slow to warm up. Both exhaust pipes are hot.

The only other thing that stands out is the idle seems ridiculously low and won't keep the bike running, even if I wait for 10 minutes for the bike to reach 200 deg (a quick ride in 80 deg weather brought it back down to 160) On full fast idle it will hold at 2000 for a few minutes before falling to 1500.

I grabbed a quick video showing the idle. Here is the link.

I'm lost... I think I have a cylinder down, but the connections look good to/from the power commander and the pipes are pretty warm. Tried two different maps now--same result except the bike ran smoother on the map I figured was best for her. Did I bump something else during the airbox removal? Maybe I am doing something wrong by sending the table and map to the bike?

I've googled around to see if this was a symptom of fueling or TPS. Having trouble narrowing it down. Any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
hello first thing to do is to check if both muffler head pipes are hot let it run take a paper towel wet it touch it to the pipe it should sizzle if its hot, next try compression test. then check spark, its place to start

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Better way, was to reflash the ecu.
No extra wiring and troubles :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Your engine is running on 1-cylinder only. An easy test is to use a spray bottle with water - when the engine has run for about 30 seconds spray a water mist on each exhaust pipe close to the cylinder head. If the water burns off instantly - that cylinder is running ok. if the water just trickles down the pipe without burning - that is the culprit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
make sure all your connections are good and correct.

ground the pc3 to your negative battery terminal

have you tried removing the power commander and checking how it runs without it? try a zero map? try removing the pc3 all together and seeing how it runs...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Will post an update tonight, going to rip it out and reinstall. I'm glad you guys think she's just on one cylinder as well.

s4r, send me some love. How does one reflash?

Dylan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off, thanks Mister D and Bonzi. Def the rear cylinder. Instead of yanking the PC out, I flipped the connector to that cylinder and viola she's back.

First ride I'm feeling a lot of weird bubbles/hesitations-especially holding at 5krpm. That is something I thought the PC would fix. I'll probably shut the first cylinder down for a ride and see if the rear cylinder is as smooth. If it's not, I'll get to start a whole new thread!

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts