Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
silentbob said:
Yeah, that is on the top of my list. I have a few Ti colored billet aluminum pieces on the bike (clutch cover,water pump, generator cover, sprocket cover).
Well, there you go, perfect match. IMHO [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
That Jet Hot copperhead color would be a totally unique, eye candy color and would look really trick with your blue.
I've seen the Satin Black in person... looked like it had a fine layer of dust on it but that's probably just because it was black, hopefully wouldn't afflict the Titanium version. If you go that route I say you get the Clearcoat they offer too (I don't mind spending all YOUR money :) ). The Fresh Blast looks kinda white which could tie in with the stripe on your bike.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If you're gonna do the radiator hoses too I'd say nix on blue- they're the wrong shade. You can special order them in a darker silverish color that would look really nice with that Titanium look that Double R has going. Hey Randy- did you get the clear on yours and how did the coating wear for color (change over time, different on parts of the pipes, etc.)?

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
silentbob said:
Thanks for posting this. I was unfamiliar with this process.

Well, I like the 1st & the 3rd colors.

I wonder if you could coat the Fuel Tank or carbon fiber exhausts with this?

I saw the section on internal parts too. I wonder if it would really help increase horsepower like it says.

http://www.performancecoatings.com/enginecoatings.html

Horsepower and increased life are achieved 3 ways:
First by impregnation of the skirts, pin bores and ring area with a dry film coating, reducing the effects of piston scuffing, piston rock and other friction induced problems.

Next, the piston dome is coated with a Ceramic thermal barrier to distribute heat evenly across the piston dome and increase combustion temperatures.

Finally, the underside of the piston is coated with a thermal barrier. This process evenly distributes heat in the chamber, thereby greatly diminishing or eliminating the chance of detonation, while reducing oil cling.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
aw heck... just discovered that Performance Coatings is 45 minutes from my front door. I may have to check them out first hand. I'm gonna ask them if they can do a blend of the Chromex and black for a black chrome effect to do my forks as the gold Ohlins doesn't sit well with me. Nice find SB, thanks!

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
c_rex said:
If you're gonna do the radiator hoses too I'd say nix on blue- they're the wrong shade. You can special order them in a darker silverish color that would look really nice with that Titanium look that Double R has going. Hey Randy- did you get the clear on yours and how did the coating wear for color (change over time, different on parts of the pipes, etc.)?
On my new S4Rs I think I had the clear applied. Not so with the S4R. Over time the pipes get a bit sandblasted from stuff kicked up from the road. I still think they look better than just raw pipes:

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
what ever color you choose, definitely get the clearcoat, otherwise it's a waste of time. I had my headers done in march 2005 in satin black, they look like :-X now. They're brownish in the front area of the headers now. But I ride my bike hard and my bike is usually very dirty anyway, so ....

2001cromo, had his done with chromex, which now look like cheap aluminum paint you would use on a chainlink fence. :p

Over this winter I will be swapping out my 620 engine for a 900. I'm on the fence whether I will have the 900 headers ceramic coated.

FYI, I've seen someone ceramic coat their exhaust system on their s4r blue. Looked like a smurf bike. Then saw them on ebay for sale for a LOOOOONG time, no one wanted them.

Perhaps it would be useful to start a new thread with people posting pics of their ceramic coated parts AFTER 6,000 miles.

my $.02
-michelle

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Industrial_Grrrl said:
what ever color you choose, definitely get the clearcoat, otherwise it's a waste of time. I had my headers done in march 2005 in satin black, they look like :-X now. They're brownish in the front area of the headers now. But I ride my bike hard and my bike is usually very dirty anyway, so ....

Perhaps it would be useful to start a new thread with people posting pics of their ceramic coated parts AFTER 6,000 miles.

my $.02
-michelle
So, for the people that have had problems with the coating over time, did you use Performance Coatings or JetHot?

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
I don't think it matters which company you use. The problem is road debris. If you are getting it done for it's intended purpose, I think the product works. I just don't think it's realistic to think that they are going to look like they do when it's first done, several thousands of miles later. It depends on how much/ and the conditions in which you ride, if you want a show bike, then the colors are cool. I don't have a "show" bike. ;D

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Industrial_Grrrl said:
I don't think it matters which company you use. The problem is road debris. If you are getting it done for it's intended purpose, I think the product works. I just don't think it's realistic to think that they are going to look like they do when it's first done, several thousands of miles later. It depends on how much/ and the conditions in which you ride, if you want a show bike, then the colors are cool. I don't have a "show" bike. ;D
Well, I have only washed my bike twice in 37,000 miles, but I would like to know that if I did wash it again that it would look nice underneath.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts