Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my roomate is looking to replace his clutch pack in a 95 900SS CR and we haven't found any plates that are for a 95 clutch. He needs steel since his basket is steel, and he's just looking to throw another plate pack in there. I'm also curious since I just put a 95 900SS engine in my 01 M600!

Any suggestions other than OEM? We've found 2002 + clutch packs, but will those work?

I've also heard to stay away from the barnett plates?

Surflex is good?

·
Registered
79 Posts
who told you to stay away from barnett? i ask because im looking at upgrading my clutch and gp in san diego said nichols basket with barnett plates is an awesome combo

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I've heard the same about Barnett for dry clutches.

I've heard surflex is good.

I can't see why a 2002+ pack wouldn't work as long as it's steel.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
The main thing that people are having issues with the Barnetts is, they are just throwing them in and not check the stack height of the clutch pack. They end up with a stack heigth that is too great then they have engagement and disengagement issues.

The main problem Ive seen with Barnetts is with the wet clutches, Ive had 1-2 packs with wraped plates new. This was remedied by Barnett without question

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I happen to have the Nichols basket with Barnett plates... had some issues, primarily with stack height, but Barnett sent me a replacement pack. I would check with Nichols first, they know the deal.

fyi, the issue involved Barnett changing something so the stack height was different with the newer plates, it wasn't an issue with installation. I was able to get plates from an older batch...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I were to replace the basket, would it have to be post 2002? Were there any differences in the way the basket mounts to the engine?

Were all Ducati dry clutches the same?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Yes, all are the same. I have a clutch from a 2005 S4R on my 1990 851. The only difference is some bikes came wiith the uber cool Alloy Baskets and friction plates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts