Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to what replacement chain you guys are running. I'm having trouble figuring out which to go with. Staying with 525 and want natural finish on the links. Can't seem to find the OE ZRPK chain anywhere, just the gold ZRP.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2009 Monster 1100S. I replaced the chain and sprockets with an AFAM Quick Change kit. I also went to a 43t rear sprocket. That gives 138 mph at the rev limiter (8500 rpm). I chose the DID 525 x-ring for chain. I use Dupont Chain Saver 3X/1000 miles for lube and cleaning. And I haven't had to readjust it in 6000 miles. That is not an exaggeration!
Keep in mind that if you choose a similar combo, the OEM chain adjustment value is no longer valid. To arrive at the proper value, I disconnected the rear shock and positioned the rear wheel so that both sprockets and the swingarm pivot were inline. I adjusted the slack travel to 1 to 1-1/4 inch (25-30 mm). I put it back together and took a reading in the proper manner and will set the chain to that value from here on. This has been working perfectly for me. Check gearingcommander.com for a lot of good chain info.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Curious as to what replacement chain you guys are running. I'm having trouble figuring out which to go with. Staying with 525 and want natural finish on the links. Can't seem to find the OE ZRPK chain anywhere, just the gold ZRP.
Look at EK ZVX3 or DID ZVM-X. They are both available in silver and have very high tensile strength (i.e: will not stretch as fast and require adjustment less often).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts