Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is this common?

Bought a 2010 Monster 696 on March 20th. Basically rode her for the 3 days I was off work, (@110 miles), noticed oil leaking (head gasket flaw and wasn't sealed properly), took her to the shop and now... they've had her for 3 weeks. Got word today that her 'back-ordered' parts are in and she will be ready in a week. Really? Another week? So much for having a new bike to kick off the spring season with. So much for having a Monster that's 'hand-assembled in Italy' by Ducati professionals. Now, she'll be hand-assembled in Sunnyvale, CA by the service reps at Honda Peninsula Ducati .

Tomorrow will be my 1 month of owning my first Ducati and I had her for less than a week before she had to go back. This is really really discouraging for me being a first time Ducati owner. This is also the first time I've bought a 'brand new' bike. I loved the bike and I've been trying to stay positive about this but today, I'm just pissed.

What should I do? What can I do?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Yeah, start bitchin' - that's about a 1/2 day job.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Bummer Diabla! That's not a good start to your ownership experience. But you should be back on the road and ripping asphalt again soon. Once this gets sorted out you'll probably never have another problem with it. Stay positive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That is frustrating. Ask them to give your loaner bike while you wait. That way they will start working on your bike (if they are not), and you won't feel bikeless.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I feel your pain. Actually mines in the shop right now for the exact same thing and tomorrow will be 3 weeks to the day. My first Ducati and I bought it because it was "more like the japanese bikes" and doesn't have all the problems Ducati is known for.

I bought it, at the 6 hundred mile service took it to them 3 weeks, then electrical problem 6 weeks, then winter. Got it out this spring, rode it three times and transmission locked up and oil leak, 3 weeks and counting. So technically so far, I've got to ride it for 5 weeks and Ducati has had to work on it for 12 and counting. Wish they'd make a couple of payments for me though, I damn near got it paid off and have barely ridden it.

That being said, love the bike when it runs and hoping this is the last problem and then it runs good forever. Otherwise I might take it to Honda and see if they can fix it. lol jk

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I contacted Ducati of North America yesteday morning, and they responded last night. They apologized and said "It is certainly not our goal to have a customer’s motorcycle out of commission for repair for that length of time".

They asked what dealer the bike was at and said they'd contact the regional representative for assistance. I guess the most frustrating thing is my Fz1 has 30k on it and all I've replaced is the battery. My Ninja has 5k on it in two years, and I've replaced nothing. Just basic oil and tires and you can ride them all day long and go anywhere.

It's just going to be hard for me to buy a Ducati again.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Yeah, I was upset about that at first too. Then I was talking to two guys that had received loaners and both had the hassel the dealer into it. One said the dealer even wanted to charge him for it, but he kept fighting and the eventually gave it to him for free.

Guess I'm not pushy enough lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts