Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a noob to the racing scene so excuse my ignorance, but since Ducati's superbike is now 1099cc, isn't it illegal for WSBK racing? Last I heard, the displacement limit for a twin is still 1000cc.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
chipazzo said:
They are definately racing the 1098 next year. Ducati IS WSBK!
you sure about that? i haven't heard any reg changes for worldsbk (yet). i wouldn't put it past 'em to race teh 999 again (like they raced the 998f the first year the 999 came out).

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Ducati will be racing a largely unchanged 999 in '07. That's a fact, at least according to Troy Bayliss.

In '08 when the new FIM rules come into effect around the world (everyone's agreed to them, including AMA which is about freaking time!) Ducati will roll out their 1200 (or whatever it is). They're likely to be joined by KTM and there's talk of other manufacturers as well.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
EvilSteve said:
Ducati will be racing a largely unchanged 999 in '07. That's a fact, at least according to Troy Bayliss.
In '08 when the new FIM rules come into effect around the world (everyone's agreed to them, including AMA which is about freaking time!) Ducati will roll out their 1200 (or whatever it is). They're likely to be joined by KTM and there's talk of other manufacturers as well.
My bad I thought the rules were going into effect this year.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Yeah, it's a shame because I'd love to see the 1098 out there but I guess they're aiming higher. Ducati *could* have a lean year in '07 but with Troy on the bike they may still do ok. He said himself that the bike is basically the same because there's not much else they can do to it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since the 999 is being discontinued, then I guess they don't have to race a current production bike. However, given the year Ducati/Bayliss had last year, now the playing field is a little more level for those poor inline 4's!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
macchina bella said:
Since the 999 is being discontinued, then I guess they don't have to race a current production bike. However, given the year Ducati/Bayliss had last year, now the playing field is a little more level for those poor inline 4's!
Haga is going to be tough to beat on that new R1. And of course, Max is always the wildcard. [laugh]

·
Registered
781 Posts
EvilSteve said:

What's KTM have? Is it still the RC8 or whatever the hell it was I read about 2 yrs ago?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ducati are delusional. Do they think any of their wins are going to be legit if they get a displacement increase [laugh]. They already win now, every win after the extra 200cc's are added will be ill-gotten in the eyes of the fans and the other 4 cylinder competitors.

If Ducati had any brains at all, they wouldn't bother with rules changes. They would just spin off their own damn WSBK flight and call it World Ducati Cup. Who wouldn't wanna race in that? Make sure World Ducati Cup bikes are as fast or faster than WSBK machines and somehow broker a deal with WSBK so they accept the series. All Ducati have to do is say they're forming their own series because they win all the time and its getting boring. [laugh]

The series will become a motogp farm, b/c all the riders will be on identical bikes so the champs will definitely be the best riders. If it's a high paying motogp farm, all the best riders will want in. Slowly but surely, raise the performance requirements so World Ducati Cup becomes the more demanding series. Eventually, other teams will want a piece of the action b/c their series will lose credibility as the best riders go elsewhere. Slowly but surely, invite the other manufacturers in, then cut WSBK out of the equation, and viola! Ducati runs WSBK, which will make prophets out of all the people who say they already run WSBK [laugh]

·
Registered
541 Posts
World Ducati cup?!? AWESOME.....I'd still watch, but I know what your saying.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
mylexicon said:
Ducati are delusional. Do they think any of their wins are going to be legit if they get a displacement increase [laugh]. They already win now, every win after the extra 200cc's are added will be ill-gotten in the eyes of the fans and the other 4 cylinder competitors.
this statement assumes that it's JUST a displacement increase.

in the AMA, for example, twins are allowed a greater number of modifications (i've listed them before) than 4cyls are. the problem is, these mods are expensive and greatly reduce the reliability of the motors, hence requiring them to be rebuilt more often. big twins are just flat out more expensive to build and more expensive to run.

with a displacement increase, they'd get 200 "extra" cc's, but drop back down to identical mods as the 4cyls.

·
Registered
544 Posts
derby said:
this statement assumes that it's JUST a displacement increase.

in the AMA, for example, twins are allowed a greater number of modifications (i've listed them before) than 4cyls are. the problem is, these mods are expensive and greatly reduce the reliability of the motors, hence requiring them to be rebuilt more often. big twins are just flat out more expensive to build and more expensive to run.

with a displacement increase, they'd get 200 "extra" cc's, but drop back down to identical mods as the 4cyls.
So in other words they're just going to be getting some hp on the cheap? But how are they going to run WSBK if they don't follow my 5 step plan? :p

Thanks for the info, I knew they were rebuilding engines left and right, but I thought it was for some mundane reason, like chucking the rev limiter and letting the engine tear itself to piece to get a few extra hp.

·
Registered
61 Posts
mylexicon said:
All Ducati have to do is say they're forming their own series because they win all the time and its getting boring.
I for one will never get tired of watching an Italian made Ducati dominate those ugly, cheap componant, slaped together, japanese wanabe motorcycles.

The only real motorcycles are Ducati's and if you want to race something else, I would be glad to watch you get dominated by a Ducati, and if the factory riders can't get it done, I will show you whats up, at Firebird West Track, anytime. Oh yeah, I'll be riding my Monster!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts