Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies,

I just purchased a new M695, and I am curious about whether or not a windscreen will make a whole lot of difference. I live in the Inland Valley of Southern California, and it can get windy out here. I also have a 2006 HD Sportster, and when I added a windshield to it, it made a huge difference. (But it requires a much more upright position.) What are your experiences with wind on the Monster? I see where the guys go back and forth about whether it is useful or not, but I wanted women's opinions. As a small female (5ft/100lbs), I worry about the wind sucking more energy out of me than necessary.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I have ridden sans windscreen, with the stock windscreen, and with the Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen (higher and swept up)

Picture with Sport Touring screen

I really liked the ST screen. It does block a lot more windblast than the stock screen. When my bike fell over and trashed the screen last month though (stupid guardrail :mad:), I decided to just get the ZG Stock Replacement screen. Its not really windy out here, so I didnt feel it was worth the extra cost for another ST screen. With the ST screen, the wind doesnt completely miss you. For me, it hit me at my neck (I am 5'1".) With the SR screen, the wind hits me at chest level.

Screen vs. no screen is a HUGE difference. I rode around for a few weeks with nothing after my ST screen got destroyed, and although I liked how the bike looked without it, it was d**n WINDY at speed! It really took some getting used to.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I also put a windscreen on mine, I felt like a parachute on my Monster without it.

I do prefer the look of the Monster without one, but I would get fatigued quickly trying to hold myself against the wind long distances or at speed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it looks like I will probably get one put on. I'll start small, and probably get a touring screen later. Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
SheMonster said:
I also put a windscreen on mine, I felt like a parachute on my Monster without it.
+1

the prob with the windscreens though (i got oems) is that they vibrate like crazy. more of an annoyance, but there you go. i bought some fairing stays from PoorDucRider @ http://www.poorducrider.com/index.htm. i've been a bit lazy and have yet to put them on. several others have and are pleased with 'em though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
qwakqwk said:
+1

the prob with the windscreens though (i got oems) is that they vibrate like crazy. more of an annoyance, but there you go. i bought some fairing stays from PoorDucRider @ http://www.poorducrider.com/index.htm. i've been a bit lazy and have yet to put them on. several others have and are pleased with 'em though.
Thanks...I had actually already looked into the fairing stays. I'm definitely doing all of the above. The wind is way too much on the freeways. :-\

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I ride without--never had a windscreen help too much anyway, and I don't like the push from a wind gust pushing on it just right.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Hey,

I've heard good things about the GIVI 750 Fairing. Supposedly it's great for highway riding. I tend to get blasted on the highway unless their is little wind. And while laying down on the tank helps a lot, it's not the greatest for taking in the scenery. I have a Monster Dark and GIVI makes a dark fairing, so I'm going to order one up right away. Although I won't leave it on for city riding. I love the streetfighter look.

Cheers,

Julie

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Take a look at the Dart

I know that you are looking for recommendations from women but you may want to take a look at the Dart windscreen. It is compact but works pretty well and probably would give even more advantage to you since you are not that tall. I tuck in behind mine when I get up to 90 or so and I have felt a real difference since day one.

It is designed for the Monster, installs easily, comes in different tints, doesn't add a lot of hardware to the bike and is a great value.

http://www.dartflyscreens.com/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts