Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

In the summer here it hits 100F no problem; it is also pretty humid. I currently have an Alpinestars Stage jacket (http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Alpinestars_Stage_Leather_Jacket--507587.html) that is perforated in the front, and Alpinestar Supertech boots (http://www.alpinestars.com/Supertech_Boot/pd/np/110/p/222005.html). Alpinestar race gloves too.

I've held off on the pants as last summer it was brutally hot in this setup. I was hoping the perforations would help, and they do at lower temps, but at 100F forget it.

So, I'm stuck with no pants. I do mostly city riding, so I was hoping to find something that isn't leather and breathes well.

Mesh looks like the ticket, but I'm not convinced about the durability. The other thing I noticed was that very few textile pants have hip protection.

What do you folks wear in hot weather? Not just pants, but in general?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
881 Posts
Where are you located?

I am in Arizona and it is above 100 for months. I wear a Hein Gericke Mesh Jacket. It is alot nicer quality than the Joe Rocket stuff (I wore a JR Phoenix for a little while before this one). It still has CE certified pads in elbow, shoulder, and a back protector. For pants, last year I went with Jeans and they were very hot. This year I bought some textiles, but don't know how they will do in the summer. The conventional thought I have heard is that mesh will still hold up in a crash, but will be unusable after one crash. Where leather may still be able to keep going even after a couple of crashes. Even in the mesh there were days that I would just be sweating on longer rides. I did not ride in the hottest months, but I would think it would be unbearable in leather. Of course I saw it get to 118 degrees here.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
TourMaster Cortech Air stuff is nice (and reasonably priced)
mesh overpants are going to give better protection than regular pants or jeans.

(I tested khakis on the pavement once...they a not so good [cheeky])
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm up in Ottawa, Ontario. It's friggin' humid up here. There are days that as soon as you walk 20 ft in a tee shirt and shorts you're sweating. I've been in stop and go once with all my gear on and I nearly collapsed. I ended up just taking any road back home that I could keep moving on. It took me twice as long to get home and I was bagged by the time I got there.

I'm pretty spooked by textiles, and mesh in particular. I read the thread on accidents and what the gear looked like, and that just reinforced my feelings. That being said, I need to find a solution. For stop and go, I guess textiles are fine. I would think that the armour becomes more important in that situation.

For non-traffic street riding I'd be good with textiles/mesh if somebody could vouch for a particular set of gear. For highway speeds I don't think any textile would cut it, but again I don't have any information on that either. :)

I understand that MotoPort makes some seriously good textiles, but I don't know if they would be better with regard to heat than perforated leather. Some of their stuff is race approved so the protection is fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MonsterHooligan said:
mesh overpants are going to give better protection than regular pants or jeans.
But are they? That's the thing I don't seem to get a good feel for. Is saying that mesh is better than nothing/jeans, the same as saying, keeping your head under water for an hour is safer than for 2 hours? :-\ Or do they actually provide real protection, but up to a lesser point (speed?) than leather. I'm thinking in a linear sense (i.e. will mesh work just as well as leather until 50mph, but not beyond?). Or is it that mesh offers say 40% of the protection of leather until 50 mpg, and after that forget it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
leather>cordura>mesh

but the pants you leave at home because they are too hot to wear dont give any protection at all

i think at lower speeds and the tumbling running into things kinda crashes you are likely to get into commuting are more affected by armor than high-speed abrasion resistance
i have ridden in a 2-piece black leather suit at 113 degrees. :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
139 Posts
i have a pair of dainese drake pants (http://www.dainese.com/eng/articolo.asp?cat=1,2,3,7&nome=DRAKE_tex&articolo=1754985). its made of cordura 750 fabric & has mesh in certain areas. it allows tremendous amount of airflow & keeps my legs cool even w/ jeans under. the cordura 750 puts you in the same territory of abrasion resistance as leathers according to these numbers:
http://www.motoport.com/saveyourhide.pdf?Merchant_ID=G7Y9CEYc&Merchant_Fax=&Merchant_Phone=

i've also recently purchased a dainese zentex for summer jacket (http://www.dainese.com/eng/articolo.asp?cat=1,2,3,7&nome=ZENTEX_Tex&articolo=1734992). looks like a perfect match to the drake pants. however, i'm debating if i should exhange it for a dainese nevada jacket. i'm just really concerned about mesh on the jacket. mesh on pants doesn't worry me as much since i have jeans under as a 2nd layer of protection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ashe said:
i have a pair of dainese drake pants (http://www.dainese.com/eng/articolo.asp?cat=1,2,3,7&nome=DRAKE_tex&articolo=1754985). its made of cordura 750 fabric & has mesh in certain areas. it allows tremendous amount of airflow & keeps my legs cool even w/ jeans under. the cordura 750 puts you in the same territory of abrasion resistance as leathers according to these numbers:
http://www.motoport.com/saveyourhide.pdf?Merchant_ID=G7Y9CEYc&Merchant_Fax=&Merchant_Phone=

i've also recently purchased a dainese zentex for summer jacket (http://www.dainese.com/eng/articolo.asp?cat=1,2,3,7&nome=ZENTEX_Tex&articolo=1734992). looks like a perfect match to the drake pants. however, i'm debating if i should exhange it for a dainese nevada jacket. i'm just really concerned about mesh on the jacket. mesh on pants doesn't worry me as much since i have jeans under as a 2nd layer of protection.
The pants look good. How's the hip protection? As for the jacket, I can only tell you that mine is brutally hot. I doubt that Nevada jacket will be better. The colour might help though. It doesn't look too bad though; the mesh seems to be reasonably placed. The description doesn't exactly help. What's the rest of the jacket made from?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
412 Posts


I currently have a joe rocket ballistic jacket and pants... zipped up they are warm enough at 45... open a few vent zippers and I was comfortable at 100F. Got pretty sweaty in the 100s (Gear is black) but at highway speed the evaporating sweat felt great!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
139 Posts
fireworks said:
The pants look good. How's the hip protection? As for the jacket, I can only tell you that mine is brutally hot. I doubt that Nevada jacket will be better. The colour might help though. It doesn't look too bad though; the mesh seems to be reasonably placed. The description doesn't exactly help. What's the rest of the jacket made from?
there's are foam pads for hip protection in the drake pants. CE approved knee & shin protector.

i know even perforated leather can get pretty hot above 100f. i have 2 other perforated leathers. the reason i'm considering nevada is bec. the perforations look larger & i'm hoping the lighter weight leather might help too.

I've read some pretty bad reviews about mesh. here are 2 examples:
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1787&page=3&highlight=joe+rocket+ballistic+crash
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8088&highlight=rocket+mesh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Nevada is perforated? I need to get my eyes checked! I can't see any perforation on the Dainese site. I don't know what it's like, but if it's like mine, and only perforated on the front it won't help.

Do you know if the foam pads are upgradable?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
881 Posts
Mesh riding pants will be better than jeans. Jeans are not made specifically for motorcycle safety. I remember reading somewhere that jeans last on average 2 seconds in a slide. I have seen a guy go down in jeans and it was not pretty. The jeans ripped apart almost instantly and because there were not pads when he hit, he had to have some reconstructive knee surgery. He was in a helmet though, so that is good, but his Speed Triple is no longer.

I bought some textile pants and they are supposed to vent pretty well. If they don't I may buy some textile pants with mesh. I currently still ride in jeans and although I trust my mesh jacket, I do not trust my jeans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
Going commando goes a long way in hot weather....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
C Fresh said:
I bought some textile pants and they are supposed to vent pretty well. If they don't I may buy some textile pants with mesh.
Which textile pants did you buy, and which mesh pants are you considering?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
139 Posts
fireworks said:
The Nevada is perforated? I need to get my eyes checked! I can't see any perforation on the Dainese site. I don't know what it's like, but if it's like mine, and only perforated on the front it won't help.

Do you know if the foam pads are upgradable?
nevada is fully perforated front & back. the perforations also seems to be a bit bigger than the regular dainese micro-perforations.
foam hip pads on the drake are sewn in between mesh inner liner & external layer. i think it will provide adequate impact resistance. much better thickness & coverage than some of the other textile pants i've researched (such as a*, joe rocket, etc.). you can wear pro-shorts (http://www.dainese.com/eng/articolo.asp?cat=1,2,3,7&nome=PRO-SHORT&articolo=1875788) underneath for added padding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
I have First Gear mesh jacket and pants. However, I have been thinking of buying the CyclePort Air Mesh kevlar jacket and pants. The advertised specs look good, but I haven't seen the stuff first hand. Anyone have any experience with the Air Mesh kevlar gear?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,150 Posts
ashe said:
nevada is fully perforated front & back. the perforations also seems to be a bit bigger than the regular dainese micro-perforations.
I thought there were two versions of it, perforated and non-perforated. The only perforated one I've seen is black, while all the ones with the colors and '72' on the back are non-perforated, no?
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top