Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've grown tired of looking at my sad Ducati in the garage and I've decided I'm putting her back together. While reassembling the carbs I noticed that one of the small, black, rubber plugs (there are 4 total, 2 on each float bowl) has gone missing! I searched the floor, high and low, to no avail. I've reached out to a few distributors who basically told me, no luck. I'm wondering if the gurus here could shed some light on where or how I can obtain one of these plugs?

Also, I have new timing belts for the bike that I want to install, and I also need to check and possibly adjust my valves. What's the correct sequence for these tasks? I'm thinking I would remove the belts, check/ adjust valves, install and tension the new belts. I've read that when replacing timing belts it's wise to change the locknuts as well. Anything else I should hit while I'm in there? I've done timing belts on a GL1200 so this little 900 shouldn't be too bad, haha

·
Registered
117 Posts
can't help with carb plugs, timing belts are easy, adjusting valves is a little more complex, but once you've done one, it becomes straight forward. First time I did it on an older bevel 900, I removed the heads, glad I did, makes the job a lot easier when doing it first time. Mainly though, the adjusters were way out, especially the closers not closing valves properly. This left the seats a little burnt and valves leaked when testing by pouring some fuel through ports. Lapped the valves in and reset shims.
Chris at C.A.Cycleworks has some instruction videos that walk you through both valve adjustment and belt change. They also have the best belts for Ducati's. I have only ever changed the adjust bearings for belts once, because they were rotating a bit rough, never had to change bolts.
see here; www.exactUK.com - DucatiTech Instructional Video's
hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great information, Thanks Ron! As for the plugs, turns out they don't really have a purpose in this particular setup. They don't go through to the fuel bowl, they're just ports for a different application

1 - 3 of 3 Posts