Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to giving my bike a good wash down and I found a crack in my case. So I am thinking my options are to 1) Drop the engine from my bike and have the cracks welded. or 2) Buy an engine off of ebay. What do you guys think? Would it be bad to ride around with that crack for the summer then get an engine during the winter?

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
I'd say to get a new (used) engine from someone, as the best combination and cheap and easy.
Another option, and the cheapest if you're mechanically inclined, would be to get a new engine case and replace that on this engine.
I would not weld it. I would *not* ride it for the summer and do it later.

How long have you had this bike? Has it been crashed, to your knowledge? You might want to look carefully for any other damage, and do a little research on the bike's history.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The engines on these things vibrate a lot. If you keep riding it like that, it will put additional stress on the other mounting points. If you can find another engine, I'd go with that. Otherwise, I'd remove it and have it welded by a good TIG welder; I knew a guy who did that with a stunt bike and the weld held up very well at a mounting point.

·
Registered
778 Posts
As a comparison, a riding buddy of mine bought an 04 M1000S and found the same crack. His didn't go all the way into the case.
He found a top notch aluminum welder and had to remove the engine, take it to the guy, then pick it up and install it in the bike. Still cost him over $400. Welder told him it could easily have been worse if he got in there and found the crack went through the case.
$500 for a good condition engine sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad and my brother are both welder/fabricators. They can weld this easy and for free. I would prefer getting this engine from fch99.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If your current engine runs well, I would fix it. Do a google search for "cracked Ducati crankcase".
Plenty of them out there. Not a terribly difficult or expensive fix. The engine must be dropped either way...

I would NOT ride it another mile as-is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your current engine runs well, I would fix it. Do a google search for "cracked Ducati crankcase".
Plenty of them out there. Not a terribly difficult or expensive fix. The engine must be dropped either way...

I would NOT ride it another mile as-is.
It runs good. My current thought is buy fch99's engine and swap it with mine. Then have the crack welded and sell it for somewhere in the 200-300 range.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Don't ride it for damn sure. Easiest option would be buy the motor and swap. Either route, check your mount bolt torque from time to time. It will help prevent that in the future. Nichols machine and TPO parts carry stronger replacements as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts