Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of talk goes on about lowering the front end on the fork tubes which quickens the steering and in some cases may contribute to decreased high speed stability.

A lesser amount of talk goes on about raising the rear ride height either by the adjusters on the bottom ends of the suspension arch or by an adjsutable shock linkage.

Personally, I think my M900 turns in plenty quick enough and is fairly flickable. A friend with a ZX6 rode mine, and his first comment was that it wants to just fall into the turns after you tip it in. I have thought about raising ride height if feasible to gain a little clearance. I've thought about raising just the rear ride height, but don't want to quicken the steering up. I sure don't want to increase the potential for a tank slapper. Although, it appears raising the rear has less effect on the steering geometry than lowering the front on the forks.

So, has anyone played with increasing front height by raising the triple clamps on the forks? Anyone considered it for increasing stability? Or has anyone raised both ends?

It would seem that raising both ends an equal amount might either preserve turn in characteristics, or slow turn in by an infintesimal amount due to the very slight increase in wheelbase when the front height is raised.

Does anyone have any FHE? Or does this look like a good science project for me to experiment with?

Let the discussion begin - ;D

O

·
0 Posts
not sure, if you rasie the rear, you while shorten the wheel base... with out rider weight on the bike... so if you raise the tripples on the forks to regain the original wheel base... will you keep the handleing characteristics you like?

R

·
0 Posts
As long as your steering axis (rake, and of course offset) remains the same, so will your trail....
I want to know if you got to ride the ZX6?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't ridden his even though he's offered, but it's the same '03 636 model that I used at the Keith Code school back in Sept. They are sweet bikes on the track! (But so is my M900, even though they are like night and day)

R

·
0 Posts
yeah I would like to ride one of those.....anyways back the the topic....I have raised my wishbone as far as I can, I have about 2" of fork sticking up through my yoke, but I have sbk forks which may be longer? dunno....no instability yet (uh, I have clip ons also)...with rear sets I seem to have enough ground clearance now,but I still hit my toe protectors sometimes, will know more after tuesday at the track. Gotta a feelin' I will be grinding the c cats.
Would think you could raise both, and keep the handling the same, if you like where you are now. Personally I like to play around with it and see what happens in the real world. When I get my Ohlins modded to an adjustable ride height configuration I will go up more in the rear still. I think body weight and position has to be a huge factor in handling, along with good suspension components, and set up.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
You can raise the older M900 about 3/4" front and rear. In the front by sliding the forks down until they're flush, and in the rear by disconnecting that wishbone link between the shock and the swingarm, screwing the height adjusters out, then putting it back together.

I owned a 96 M900 that was raised up all the way and I'm not sure it was an improvement. It makes the wheelbase a little bit longer, but preserves the steering geometry. One the thing I can say for sure if you do that is that the sidestand will now be too short.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott - I didn't even think about the stand. Thanks.

When you say you're not sure about any improvement, are you referring to no improvement in cornering clearance? Or no improvement in handling characterisitics?

Was that the bike and the current setup that had the tanks slapper?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I never had a clearance problem with the stock Monster suspension settings. The one I crashed was a 97, the tall one was a 96 that I owned for about two months. My teenage son wanted a bike and we got a good deal on it, but he didn't keep up his grades and a few other things, so I sold it.

I couldn't tell that the 96 handled any better than the 97.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Scott. So far, my only clearance issue has been poor foot positioning on the pegs which lets me scrub my toes a little on the faster laps. Studying some of the track day photos, I've found the fix for that but worry a little that as I get faster I may start grounding the header - or then again I may never get that fast in the turns ::)

The possiblities for increasing ride height and the handling influence still interest me, especially since so many people seem to equate quicker steering with better handling and get hung up on blindly lowering the front because it's "the thing to do". And as I alluded to earlier, the unexpected tank slapper that Monsters get into are always in the back of my mind.

I think when all the comments are collected, I'll probably play with a few adjustments over the next few months and see what I find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts