Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Before (stock): hit fuel reserve warning at 100 miles.

After (termie slip-ons/ECU/airbox): now hits reserve at 70 miles.

Don't know for sure, but I don't think 70 miles is an acceptable range.

Also, on testing the reserve fuel distance -- guess I need to have someone follow me with a gas can to really know?

(maybe it's that gloss paint? [laugh] )

·
Registered
489 Posts
Something was wrong with your bike before if you were only getting 100 miles on a tank of gas...

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
My S4RT fuel light was coming on at around 90 miles before the Termis...just came on at 70 for the first tank after the Termis.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
How much gas you putting in?

If you have a few tools, you could run it to reserve and drain the remainder, see how much is left and extrapolate how far you could go. (In case your reserve light comes on earlier than it needs too.)

D

·
0 Posts
Don't calculate it by running it low/out etc.. that would suck to get stranded or whatever. Calculate it by filling it up- fill it up, to a specific point, set the trip, go ride. Next time you fill up is the amount you used. Divide miles/gallon.

P.S. You sure you aren't getting on it due to the cool new sound and power?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you had it retuned, that would be it. I had my shop adjust my S2R to idle stronger. They had it idling at 1.5k and the fuel light coming on at 70mi, so I had them adjust it down a bit and it comes on somewhere around 90 -city (was 100, stock).

I don't really know what I'm doing at all so I' not adjusting anything myself. I think it's just the gold screws, but I'm not willing to mess with them, yet.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I tried keeping rpms low after putting the Termis on, 'cause I wanted to know what the best possible mileage was going to be after hearing all the stories about mileage dropping. The bike idles somewhere between 1350-1400 (guess), but I wouldn't want a lower idle. I calculated about 29 mpg (after the Termis) doing it the way D-C suggested. I figure the bike dropped about 4 mpg after the exhaust change.

·
Banned
402 Posts
D-C said:
Don't calculate it by running it low/out etc.. that would suck to get stranded or whatever. Calculate it by filling it up- fill it up, to a specific point, set the trip, go ride. Next time you fill up is the amount you used. Divide miles/gallon.
So now you tell me :-[

But seriously folks, my gas mileage varies drastically from summer to winter, so that might be part of njstevo's difference. I've gotten 150 miles on a tank in the summer, and I've run dry at 133 miles in the winter. Twice. Guess I'm a slow learner. Not sure why, but it's likely a combination of me warming up the bike more in the winter, and maybe wintertime gas doesn't have as much energy per gallon. Unfortunately for me, my low-fuel light goes on in October and stays that way 'til April, so I usually try to fill up around 125 in the winter. In the summer I'll wait 'til I see the light, then go ~40 miles after that.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Less than 30 mpg? Sheesh, that sucks.
On my supersport, I get 50 on trips, 45 around town and mid 30s at the track.
And that's with a 1000ds... (I saw a little drop with termis)

What do your plugs look like? If your bike is running excessively lean, it should be getting much better mileage.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
You were looking for enhanced performance.........................right?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will defintely check the plugs.

On the trade-off here... absolutely, the upgrade is worth every flippin drop. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
675 Posts
toolfan said:
and extrapolate how far you could go.
"extrapolate" Toolfan..are you an engineer? I extrapolate and interpolate a lot myself. And yes njstevo that will give you a nice average on where you're at.[thumbsup]

Carlos

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Setting aside the possibility that you are enjoying the Termis more than you should (no one here blames you if you are BTW), the wrong fuel mixture is many time to blame for the drop in mileage. My 800 got less mileage after a DP ECU and Termis but recovered it and did slightly better after a dyno tune.

I guess if your bike goes lean and losses power at the rev range that you usually ride then your tendency is to give it a little more gas to get back to "normal" even if you are not trying to get more "performance" at the time.

A properly set up fuel mixture has in my experience made the bike more rideable (less stumbles and flat spots), flatter torque curve from 3.5K to 5K and slightly more torque and peak HP. Your TPS setting should also be spot on. BTW, I am by no means a mechanic or expert just relaying my experience.

Also, your driving conditions vary as well as how long you idle the bike for warm ups and in traffic. hope that helps.

In any case have someone dyno tune the bike if for no reason other than to spend money on an activity that is noisy and interesting.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
desmopr said:
"extrapolate" Toolfan..are you an engineer? I extrapolate and interpolate a lot myself. And yes njstevo that will give you a nice average on where you're at.[thumbsup]

Carlos
[laugh]

yes he is

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under 30mpg is ridiculous for a 695

trade-off or not

my 620 regularly see's 50mpg and 40mpg if i am really on it

worst mileage ever was heading up a 6% grade, full throttle using winter gas, multiple times in a day

and

I still saw 120 before the light came on

this was with cored cans, a chopped box w/K&N, light weight flywheel and a 14t front sprocket

and no PCIII yet t adjust mixture

I would get your machine in to the dealer to get it checked out,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts