Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had several bikes with a wet clutch. They all worked fine and quiet. In my search for a Ducati I see there are wet and dry clutch bikes over the years. I'm interested in a used bike by they way. In the past, when I wasn't really interested in owing a Ducati, I have heard Ducati bikes pulling up to a spot at the side of road making lots of noise and I always assumed it to be from the dry clutch. My question is do the bikes come from the factory without a noise barrier/cover over the clutch or are they removed or modified for effect? Also is there any benefit to one over the other?

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
They have a cover, but many people replace it with an open one to see/hear the clutch.
The wet clutch is generally less maintenance and lasts longer.
it is easier to replace the clutch pack on the dry ones (originally designed for racing when clutches need changed frequently.
generally speaking...ducs 900 and larger get dry, 800 and smaller have wet clutches
some people like the sound, some dont.
they are unique to Ducati (with the exception of one limited-edition GSXR, and some really old Harleys)
You can also make them look pretty.
my wife's hyper-

jeff h
monsterparts.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see what you mean. Nice looking clutch. The rest of the bike must be an eye catcher.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if you aren't too far away now you should come back for a visit. There are so many roads around here it's biker Disneyland. My BMW12RT knows the roads well but I want to introduce a Ducati to them too. I just can't figure out which one. I'll start another thread on that soon.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My dealer put an open cover on the demo I bought. I find it too loud and will put the stock cover back on.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Stock, the dry clutches have a full cover. When I moved from the wet-clutched ST4s to the dry-clutched Monster 1100, I noticed no difference in either clutch feel or loudness.

The benefits to a wet clutch are:
Reduced maintenance (longer life).
Runs cooler.

The benefits to a dry clutch are:
Easier/faster to replace parts.
More efficient transfer of torque.
"Trick" appearance with an open cover.

The clutches in cars with manual transmissions are also dry.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Well if you aren't too far away now you should come back for a visit. There are so many roads around here it's biker Disneyland. My BMW12RT knows the roads well but I want to introduce a Ducati to them too. I just can't figure out which one. I'll start another thread on that soon.
I'm 12 hours away now (Boise ID)
try the road to Mammoth Pools.
twisty goodness and no traffic

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just traded my 696 for an 1100 and found the clutch action quite different. The wet clutch was very forgiving on the down shift but very tricky on starting off. The dry clutch acts like what I am used to from other brands. It still has a very light clutch lever pull like the 696, so riding is a pleasure. With the factory clutch cover, the 1100 doesn't sound abnormally loud and I don't get the distinctive jingle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
MonsterHooligan, yes the road to Mammoth Pools is a fine road especially when it's not covered in pine needles. I don't think there is a road around here I haven't ridden on.
I never thought that oil would pollute a wet clutch, but you never know. Do the bikes with dry clutches have longer oil change intervals?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The wet clutch was very forgiving on the down shift but very tricky on starting off.
The M696 is much more forgiving on downshift than the M1100 because it has an APTC slipper clutch, not really because it's wet vs dry.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you tell me if the S2R 800 or S2R1000 have separate engine and trans oil. What is the oil change interval on these bikes anyway?
thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can you tell me if the S2R 800 or S2R1000 have separate engine and trans oil. What is the oil change interval on these bikes anyway?
thanks
I don't know a lot of specs about all of the bikes, but I'm sure the S2R1000 doesn't because it has a dry clutch, doesn't it?

Check a service manual. You'd know if it was separate, because it would have 2 different fill caps. I don't think separate transmission/engine oils are as common on street bikes as it is for off-road.

It's not THAT big of a deal. That's why your engine oil has a filter... :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All fine and dandy but I don't have either bike. I'm searching for one and just wanted to know some of the details that's all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
S2R1000 has hydraulically actuated dry clutch...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts