Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I definitely do not have the luck of the irish when it comes to bikes. I left for work today it about 6:00 and still dark. I came to a large 4 way stop, went at my turn and the driver coming from my left started to go but saw me and stopped. When I saw him I moved over a little to the right which set me up for my next problem.

When I continued on a truck ran the stop sign coming from my right. I squeezed lightly to transfer weight then I even flashed my brights twice at the guy. It looked like I had ample room to stop then my front wheel just disappeared and I was on the ground looking at the guy speed away even though I know the jerk saw me go down.

Not sure why my wheel dissappeared which is really bothering me. I only braked with 2 fingers and had plenty of time, time to even flash my brights and I felt the weight transfer to the front so not sure why I went down.

Oh and damage was basically the whole left side of the bike. On me just a banged up knee, glad I was wearing my jacket, wish I had worn more than jeans though knee is scraped up nicely.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
That sucks man, at least you are ok.

Do you use your rear brake at all? I know alot of people that don't and the flashing thing and all is what they teach you to do, but I have already found that I would rather spend my energy getting the bike stopped safely and avoid accidents completely. Just a split second more time to brake so you could brake less hard.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went back and looked at the spot I went down and there is a steel plate about 2ft by 2ft on the right side of the lane right where I lost it. I can only assume that it was slick and that would have been my downfall. I didn't see it, was pretty dark at 6:30.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
That sucks, glad you are OK. Make a positive out of it and think of it as the beginning of a round of mods. :)

Plus, I think you should go back and write your name and the date on that steel plate.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Thanks for sharing. We all are sorry that happened, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Were your tires cold? Metal is very slippery. Bridge grates, manhole covers and railroad tracks can sometimes be the end of ya'. However, I never brake OR lean the bike over any of these...especially RR tracks. I'm also one of those guys that only uses his back brake in a known sandy or metal situation. If I know the road is slick, I will us only my back brake because that's a controllable slide. However, in your case you didn't know the metal was there. If I didn't know it was there, I would only have used the front myself. I've been riding all my life and never had the front go out on me. Had it slide a tad bit when I stopped on a soda can once :) But that's it. As far as the back brake, I use the engine for that except for the cases that I mentioned above.

But still, the road had to have dew on it and your tires must have been ice cold in order for it to give way under light braking like that. My guess anyway.

Sorry about your bike though. I'm always more worried about my bike than me. After all, I will heal. My bike wont. I have insurance. My bike doesn't.

Tom

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm good thx for the replies but my initial feeling is a totalled bike from talking to the dealer but I'll find out for sure next week :-[

·
Registered
423 Posts
Me Irish had to travel through Isle of White, South Africa, Canada, and then on to the US - but it found me last night in the dark... twice in the same intersection.

I was riding up to a freeway on ramp that is heavily traveled during the day by bigger tractor/trailers coming out of dirt parking lots and as I missed the line going in - I did get on my back brake and had it slip around on me. That wasn't a big deal, but I then proceeded to grab the throttle and broke the rear loose again accelerating through the dust over pavement.

Thanks to all those hours riding dirt bikes and call me Irish - I'm feelin lucky today...

+1 on the ride slow in the dark - especially at intersections

Sorry you went down billy,
-c

·
Registered
126 Posts
Billy,

I would 100 percent investigate making a claim to the city / agency / contractor whose steel plate that is. Were there signs saying "construction zone", was the plate highlighted in any way to inform you of the danger, was the plate smooth instead of having weld lines on it for traction, sounds to me like you may have a claim. Normally, from what I understand, cities will settle for property damage once they figure you are not going away. Sooner you make a claim the better your chances, I would think.

BTW, sounds like the classic example of where ABS brakes MIGHT have saved you. Even on the BMW boards ABS is a heated subject with not alot of general consenses.

Glad you were relatively unhurt. You might dry Draggin Jeans.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
A claim? File a lawsuit against the city? In Florida it is against the law. You can sue, but not more than 10 grand.....and NO attorney will touch a suit for that amount. I've been there already. I was in a bad accident and the State funded hospital cast my hand wrong. Needless to say i'll never have use of my outside two fingers again. they cast me for a broken wrist and not hand. It can not be rebroken because all the little bones on the outside of the hand healed in one ball.

I've talked to a few dozen attorneys, nobody would have anything to do with suing the hospital. They said that I could win easily, but Florida law states that you cannot sue a City or County funded agency for anything more than 10 grand. And I said "you mean if I go into the hospital for a splinter, and a doctor comes in drunk with a chainsaw and chops both my legs off, that I can sue because it's a county hospital?" And the attorneys all said "yes, I cannot sue for more than 10 thousand dollars". Screwed up law but I'm left with a messed up hand the rest of my life and I can't sue a single person.

·
Registered
56 Posts
(Sounds like reason # 4240509 why it sucks to live in Florida.)

To the OP, my condolences on your mishap, and depending on where you are located you may well have some luck pursuing a claim. Speak to a lawyer.

C.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Before going to a lawyer I would talk to the city. Most have forms for this stuff, they get claims all the time. Its not sueing.

Remember, pretty good chance that whoever put that steel plate down was not a city employee, but maybe a psudo private utility co. or a contractor. You really need to pursue these things a bit to find out what is what. Especially as there was some kind of construction involved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts