Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding only a year now but with no problems and never laid down a bike until now. I was coming around a turn 20-30 mph when my front tire hit a 6" gap in a cement road. My handlebars jerked left and my rear tire started skidding. I tried to correct it, but I ran out of road and into a curb. If I had about 3 more feet of road, I probably would have saved it. I'm thankful to say I walked away with stitches under my eye, a scraped elbow, and a broken pride. I was wearing a full face helmet, and a joe rocket mesh jacket with CE armor; both of which did their job. To my surprise, my jeans were not so much as even ripped. Considering all, I was very lucky.

The bike itself made out very well. The left tank skin is cracked, mirror dinged, windshield bent, broken peg, broken shifter pedal, and scraped sliders. So far, there looks to be no frame damage.

The question is if I really want to ride again. Riding is fun, but tonight wasn't. Any words of wisdom are much appreciated. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Edit: Sorry, I posted in the wrong section. Mods please move when you get a chance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The sooner you get back on your bike the better. It's not always easy and sure you will be very nervous for the first couple of miles but eventually it will just be a bad memory. :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
get back on and ride, everyone has either gone down or will. Gear mitigates the injuries. This was a learning experience. I would guess that you saw the pot hole and fixated on it, which is why you hit it. BTW, how did you wind up with stitches under your eye if you were wearing a full face helmet?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Sorry to hear about it. Every time I see this on a forum, I'm hoping before I click the link that you just fell not with the bike, and it just ends up being a funny story.

Most of us have been there if you've ridden long enough, luckily all mine have been on dirt bikes which is more forgiving. Some people get right back on and some never do, although I hope you do because riding is a wonderful hobby. I'm glad you were wearing your gear, things could have been a lot worse without it.

Again hope you get back on and ride, and like SpeeLaT I think the sooner the better. Glad you're ok and hope to see you on the road again.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
It's your decision alone, I try to never talk someone into or out of riding. Crashes are part of the hobby.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys.

BTW, how did you wind up with stitches under your eye if you were wearing a full face helmet?
I was kind of wondering that myself. My guess is that when I hit the curb, the handlebar shot up and hit the visor, pushing it into my face. I'd hate to think what my face would look like without the helmet, or even with the visor up.

It wasn't a pothole, BTW. It was a gap between the slabs of a cement road. The slabs were just far apart. It would be fine if I were going straight across it, but it was in the middle of a turn and on an angle. It was still my fault; I should have been going slower on an unfamiliar road.

It'll probably take about a month before I could even try riding again. I need to find a place that can check if the frame is straight, and I'll need to replace a few parts. I'll have plenty of thinking time before I get back on.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey IntregraRC,

It's been more than a year for me, yes, had a short run to test the bike with the "new" parts in and at the end, still not able to ride.

Second time I've hit the tarmac, both times, I've been hit, one on the rear tire the last one, guy was having a refreshment and though he was Lewis Hamilton and cliipped my front tire in the middle of the turn, yes, I was leaning, had to had knee surgery and because of this accident, got axed from work.

Take your time, I did, went out, the first few yards I was nervous, but, it went away. Now is the time to do some mods...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your spill but glad to hear that you are more or less ok. I agree with these guys, just take your time and you will know when its right to get back on your bike. I wish you all the best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't decide one way or the other yet. It's too soon. Right now focus on getting your bike fixed and your wounds healed. You'll know when the time is right. It's different for everyone- do what's best for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well now that you got that out of the way, you know what it's like... and that it doesn't really hurt too bad if you're full gear like you should be. You can get back on and have more confidence in the fact that you have an idea of what your limits are... although that may not apply a lot here.

It's part of riding and I can almost guarantee it will happen again :eek:. Maybe 15 years from now... who knows.

I come from dirt bikes and the way we look at it, is if you're not crashing, you're not riding hard enough... so I have lots of experience crashing... but dirt is usually softer than asphalt. (and it rarely hurts the bike) Rock is not. At some point you almost learn how to crash to do minimal damage to yourself.... Just like skiing if you are familiar with that, eventually when you go down, you know how to minimize the forces exerted on your body and it just happens without thinking.
I think a little dirt experience would help a lot of people - learn what it's like to have the back wheel all over the place(or the front for that matter), learn what it's like to loose the front, learn what it's like to crash all the while not hurting yourself or the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Ouch, you must be a young man. I've been riding a long time and have always been considered a pretty good rider (done lots of 'limit" testing), always in full gear. I've still got all my body parts but they've been rearranged a little. I've broken most bones in my body including my back 3 times. I spent 4 months in a wheel chair and can't even remember how many surgeries I've had. I now walk with a cane and am on SS disability, with a lifetime's worth of pain pills.
No matter how good you are at sliding, etc., on the street it's the sudden stop that get's you.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
PS: I still ride, just not as good as I used to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts